Monday, March 19, 2018

Delicate Adventure

Araceli always has big ideas, and I love it when I can facilitate them. And if I can combine her big ideas with a road trip, even better! The kids didn't have school Monday, so we set off early Sunday morning with a motley crew of teens and tweens, to hike Delicate Arch. The weather looked iffy, so we left at 5 am instead of 4, to avoid the cold and possible rain.  We had Riley Servoss, Araceli's friend who moved to Idaho Falls, Carson Gapinski, Araceli's love interest du jour, Vilina, Freestone, and Ptolemy, our trip mascot.

Well, the weather didn't pan out like expected. There was son on Highway 6 between Provo and Price. When we got to Price, I thought we were through the storms, so we stopped for an unhurried breakfast. I was peeved when the snow started falling between Price and Green River. It got bad. There was noplace to pull over, low visibility and the roads were starting to cake with snow and ice. The kids were having a jolly old time in the backseat, which led to more angst on my part as I gripped the wheel. Long story short, there was an accident just ahead of us and we were stopped on the roadway for over an hour. The whole time we were stopped, I was just grateful that we were safe. Nobody minded much that we were delayed, and soon we were on our way again, driving slowly past the grim scene of the accident. It didn't look like there was enough damage for anyone to be seriously injured, so I hope everyone was ok.

The weather cleared for us as we started our hike to Delicate Arch. It's a fun hike with a big payoff at the end, so I like it. Delicate Arch is one of the most iconic landmarks in the state. By the time we got there, however, it was windy and there was a fine snowfall pelting us in the face. We stayed for awhile taking pictures and joking around, but it wasn't comfortable, necessarily. On the way down, Araceli realized she had lost her glasses. Carson sprang into action and found them by asking various other hikers, one of whom has set them on a rock. Crisis averted. This was the most easygoing, fun group of kids ever. By the time we got to the car, we were frozen, and it took us hours to thaw out. We had lunch in Moab and headed back to Price to enjoy our hotel's hot tub. That was nice!

We stayed at the Greenwell Inn, which I highly recommend next time you're in the boomin metropolis of Price, Utah. It was 60 bucks a night, and the pool and hot tub are in a nice, big building. There's actually plenty of food options in Price, and even some things to do.  The kids were pretty beat, though, and everyone fell asleep without me having to tell them to. Mission accomplished.

In the morning, Ptolemy and I went on a little tour or Price where we admired the Greek Orthodox church and the McDonald's. He's at an age where he realizes that not everyone is just like him, which is important. The other day, he said, "I was watching a show, and I'm guessing the characters weren't Mormon, because the dad said, 'It's Sunday! We dont have anything planned! We can spend the whole day together as a family!'" Poignant, sad, funny. I guess that's how a kid feels when his dad is in the bishopric. Anyway, the Greek Orthodox church in Price is beautiful.

In no tie, we were headed home, with no weather or traffic problems, and another fun adventure was in the books. For one last memorable event, my car hit 100,000 miles between Price and Provo. Exciting! I've put over 75,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. Man, that's a lot of memories!



















No comments: