Sunday, March 15, 2009

Run for It



Saturday mornings, I teach. A little ballet, a little violin. Driving to my classes, I always see an inordinate number of runners, walkers and bikers making their way around my hilly town. Oddly, it gives me almost a sense of accomplishment to see them exercising, as if I were benefitting from it. Maybe I feel smug for living in such a health-conscious place. It makes no sense, I know, but admiring the runners on Saturday mornings is as close as I usually come to organized exercise myself. Granted, I have begun to break a sweat getting up off the floor at ballet after stretching. The younger students make observations like, "Your baby is getting really big!" I don't tell them the baby is still the size of a hackey sack.

My dad, I'm sure, is secretly disappointed at my lack of ability to exercise. He raised us on marathons and track meets, but somehow I didn't take to it. My bedroom walls were lined with light-pink ribbons that said "Congratulations, Participant." (My mom swims a mile a day. I still came in dead last in every race when I was on the swim team. Do you see a pattern?) I remember one track meet where I slipped in gravel at the sound of the starting shot. I spent the whole race on my face at the starting line. I was afraid to get up, knowing my dad would probably encourage me to keep going, even though all the other kids were already throwing back cups of water and accepting congratulatory slaps on the back at the finish line. My Dad has proudly saved footage of many races. I would sputter along panting, looking for shapes in the clouds or stopping to pick a dandelion, and my dad would jog alongside me, effortlessly shouldering a video camera the size of our first microwave, documenting my mediocrity for posterity. I admire him for that; I'm sure it was difficult to run that slowly.

Notwithstanding my ineptitude at racing, I did develop a few strategies. During a kids' Fun Run, (Oxymoron? Definitely.) I saw another little girl crying on the curb, her knees bleeding. Seeing my chance to be noble and get out of running at the same time, I stopped to comfort her. As I helped her hobble over the finish line, my strategy was born. After that, I always looked for an injured kid to help. Sometimes I had to resort to helping an overturned potato bug. My dad maybe would have taken that more seriously if we were Hindu, I guess.

Come to think of it, maybe it was my dad that unknowingly forewarned me of the pitfalls of running when he ran a marathon with a sprained ankle. He fell changing a light bulb the night before the race. He bandaged that ankle and proceeded to run 26 miles on it the next day. Even I can still feel the pain. We have pictures of another race where all the kids are wearing garbage bags because of the pouring rain. One race he ran every year was called the Baer Gutsman and it went straight up a mountain and straight back down the other side. See, what is it about this lifestyle that sounds fun? The name Baer Gutsman still gives me a sideache, and I was a spectator.

My sister-in-law Jennie ran nine miles yesterday while I expended my energy walking out to the driveway to buy Kool-Aid from my kids. I think I made that walk eighty or ninety times, but still. Not exactly aerobic. I was glad Jennie did the nine-miler, though. (YOU ROCK!) It made me feel a sense of accomplishment, like maybe I'd better soak my feet and eat a big plate of carbs. To all you runners out there, keep up the good work. Thanks for making me feel so athletic. I think we make a great team. Let's just not do the Baer Gutsman, OK?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

See this is why we are friends! I hate running! I have wondered how your dad didn't suck you in, now I know he tried! I love the help-the-injured-kid approach! Oh, Circe you are just so funny!

Jennie said...

C - thanks for the shout out. :) It was only 7.5. I was ticked when I drove it and found out all the sweat and effort were for a measly 7.5. The map my run website swore it was 9. So... in my mind, I'll let it be 9. It makes me feel better about all the easter candy I ate this weekend. :) Thanks for watching my kiddos. They had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow, The Baer Gutsman! That is really impressive that your dad runs this every year. I like to hike it once a year...maybe about 1/2 way. We usually see dedicated runners who are training for the actual event. I love your descriptions of the races your "participated in". You do so many things well that it's refreshing to hear that running is just not your thing.

Jennifer said...

I'm my dad's erstwhile running protege, too. It never happened. No athleticism at all. When my dad tried to teach me to ride my two-wheeler I was so frustrated that I said I thought mom was calling me. I didn't come back outside that day. (But I did learn later, thanks to his patience!)

Amanda said...

If I was as thin as you are, I wouldn't HAVE to run. Even with all my running, I'm STILL not as tiny as you are! Oh well! I just keep telling myself that my body isn't made to be a tiny body, just accept it, and go for being healthy instead!

Anonymous said...

Running is way overrated! I think most people just run to brag about it. The real champions are people who can eat an entire pan of brownies in one setting and NOT feel the need to run it off.

Emily said...

wowha- someone (ms. anonymous) hates to exercise...
Circ- i would love to have your music or dancing skills any day, so i don't feel bad for you ;) i love to hear how you got out of running though. you definitely can add a creative mind to your can do list.

Jennie said...

Okay.... a little bird told me about your hater Ms. Anon. comment. Well, all I have to say is - here is a receipe for ya. It is tried and true. But... I'm sorry, I'll continue to run after I eat each and every pan of brownies. :) One day I hope to have as much courage as you.

This was borrowed from my sister's blog.

Rocky Mountain Brownies
1 cup butter ( I cut this in half as I like a firmer brownie)
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups nuts( optional)
1 cups mini marshmallows

Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and add cocoa and sugar. Mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add four, vanilla & nuts. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 pan or a 9 X 9 pan for a thick brownie. Bake @ 350 for 30 mins. Turn off the oven, spread marshmallows over the top of the brownies. Return to oven for an additional 3-5 mins until the marshmallows are barely melted. Remove form oven and drizzle with Fudgy-Chocolate frosting.

Fudgy- Choc Frosting
1/3 cup butter ( I used 1/4 as to cut a little fat out Ha Ha)
3 Tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt butter in sauce pan on medium heat. Remove from heat, add cocoa & milk. Beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. If still to thick add tablespoon of milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over marshmallows on brownies. Serve hot or cold.

I double the recipe and put in large cookie sheet. I also let the brownies/marshmallows cool then add the fudge sauce for a more firm brownie. I tried putting the sauce on right after the oven, and it soaks down into the brownie for more of a molten cake type of brownie. So do it how you prefer.