Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Snips 'n' Snails


At Bible School a couple of weeks ago, I watched all the kids in a big room, putting on a little program for the parents. The girls were singing the songs and smiling adorngly at their leaders. Freestone and the other 5-year-old boys were break dancing around the carpet, making superhero sound effects that sprayed all the girls with spit. I had this vague thought: "I wonder how old Freestone will be when he grows out of this rambunctous phase?"

Then I looked over at the 8-year-old boys. They were all doing the chicken dance, hopping on one foot and shoving each other, making machine gun noises as they fell. OK, so 8 is still a rowdy age for boys.

At the pool yesterday, I watched a bunch of 12-year-old boys making fart noises with their armpits. OK, so 12 is still juvenile for a boy. But then one of the bigger boys laughed really loud. I did a double take. The boy was bald. His chest was hairy. It was the DAD! So at 40, boys are still going through the phase where they think armpit noises are funny. Parenting boys should come with a caveat: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." These people never grow up. They are ALL Peter Pan. Scott and my brother still hide behind doors at their office and jump out to scare each other. For heaven's sake, they're attorneys. And my dad, at 70, laughs at the pranks until his eyes water.

I think I'm finally used to boy energy. Instead of waiting for Freestone to grow calmer, I embrace the energy. It's him. It's inherent in him to jump off the couch, roll across the room and make loud beeping sounds on his way out the door. It's hard-wired to turn couch cushions into "shoot-guns." I laughed the other day when Ari, Xanthe and Freestone were playing with little dolls in the kiddie pool. Ari and Xanthe were floating their dolls on rafts, giving them high, sweet voices as they talked about where they wanted to float. Freestone was shouting, "Aaaaaaaaghhh!! HELP! My doll is drowning in the ocean! Aaaaaagh!" Which reminds me, the first thing Freestone did when he learned to swim was to perfect the art of pretending to drown. That one, I had to put a stop to.

I used to think the "snips and snails and puppy dog tails" thing was lame. Now it gives me a lump in my throat, as I sneak in to see Freestone asleep in his bed, Star at his feet, his rock collection spilling out of his hand. I look at his soft, downy face, his sun-bleached hair and his chubby hands and wish, for a minute, that he would never grow up.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

This is a REALLY good one Circ! Oh, you are so wise! Please remind me to be so wise. I realize I may be trying to drum the boy out of my boy sometimes. Gotta stop that because if I succeed what will I be left with? A sad, dorky little guy who just sits quietly? Well we don't want that so I guess it is back to attacking my couch pillows deconstructing everything in sight and wrestling non-stop with a two year old!

Jennie said...

Circ, yet again you are an example to me. I am secretly hoping my boy's gun noises and rowdy behavior stop sooner rather than later. A day at a time right.... for today, I'll try to embrace the noise and chaos. :)

Elisa said...

When I look at my little man, I think the exact same thing.

Boys are so much fun! I wish I had a couple more!

Circe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Hey Circ, our library had no flying. Brittany keeps telling me I need to read it, guess I will have to!

love.boxes said...

Butt is my brother Robert's favorite word.. still. Every year for my birthday I get a card with a butt joke and someone with plumbers crack on the front of the card and I do picture him laughing until his eyes water... :)

Taylor Family said...

I love it! Aren't little boys so much fun. Today I was baking cookies with my boys and they were sitting on thier chairs so nicely. I think this is the only way I have found to stop the rowdy beharior. At least at your house you aren't out numbered three to one.

Jenny said...

HHmmm, maybe it's good I don't have any boys, YET!

SSWS said...

made me tear up again.....scheesh! I just love my little boys to pieces, but they do keep me running around! Don't you love the dewey, rock-collection moments. That is the joy of motherhood! Great post.

Anonymous said...

Fun post! You are right that boys never really grow up. But they hopefully they grow up to be wonderful men with little boy hearts. Freestone is fun to watch:) I am reading the Lost Daughters of China by Karen Evans. I am crying all the way through it...it brings back lots of fun memories as well..highly recommend it if you haven't read it.

Erin said...

Beautiful words to this mother of four sons! They are a force of nature.

Erin said...

Beautiful words to this mother of four sons! They are a force of nature.

Erin said...

Beautiful words to this mother of four sons! They are a force of nature.