Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spain


I spent a summer in Spain when I was in my 20's. What I found out during my time there is that I'm definitely a product of my environment. My psyche is American and my way of life is American, despite my love of Spain. That summer, I worked for a violin maker in Madrid. Every day at 10 o'clock, I rang the bell at his apartment and waited. Ten minutes later, Laurent would come to the door with his eyes half-closed and walk with me across the street for a cappuccino. We got to work around ten-thirty and worked until two in the afternoon, at which time I would dine in a restaurant with Laurent and his wife and some friends. Lunch lasted the two hours of afternoon siesta. It wouldn't have made sense to work while the whole world around you sleepily sipped lemonade behind closed shutters. So we went back to work at four in the afternoon and worked until things cooled off at eight. Dinner was at ten. Or eleven. Or whenever that market day's fresh ingredients took shape as a meal.

I love the idea of a work day that leaves time for two hour lunches with friends and starts with a half-hour in a neighborhood cafe. To my surprise, the reality of that lifestyle drove me nuts. The vacation part of my summer in Spain made me even more crazy than the work part. Hanging out with a group of single young Spanish students consisted of talking about going to the beach, driving around to various houses to round up friends, spending an hour at each house chatting, getting ready, drinking a Coke...By the time we would get to the beach, the sun was going down. And nobody seemed to mind in the least. I was the only one who felt like I had just wasted a beautiful, sunny day. Everyone else was relaxed and happy. Meanwhile, I was wondering what, exactly, I had accomplished. One weekend, a car full of my friends and I drove around lost in Portugal for six hours. We finally slept on the hood of the car in a dark neighborhood and found our way the next day. Nobody was the least bit concerned that we were hopelessly lost and hours behind schedule. "Que sera sera" is deeply embedded in the Spanish way of life.

Americans, we thrive on driving ourselves hard and rewarding ourselves with intense recreation. We think we relax, but we don't know how. The truth is, I wish I had the propensity to act more Spanish, but I don't. Leisurely mornings depress me. I need a jolt of caffeine, a packed schedule and a long to-do list to wake me up. It's not just me; It's the culture I live in. The irony is that we as a society have been working eighty-hour weeks with less vacation time than any other industrialized nation. The result? We've completely tanked our own economy. We're entirely dependent on Oprah's next guest author to tell us where to look for contentment. Maybe we're greedy not just for money, but time, accomplishment and enlightenment. Maybe what we are chasing is as vapid and fleeting as the fame we covet in our superstars. Or maybe we already have plenty of the bounty we crave, we just can't see it.

Not to idealize Spain, but I remember watermelons I ate there, how good they tasted at midnight. I remember the cafes and parks and beaches and living rooms. I still keep in touch with friends I met during a week alone at the beach. I have good memories from those slow, beautiful days. Sadly, though, my American psyche prevented me from fully realizing that life was happening to me even as I waited for it to begin, during the creeping hours of siesta and the long meals of evening. "The good life" may be a lot simpler than we Americans think. I can't change who I am, but I think I might like to try sitting down and looking around at the treasures I have, and enjoying them. Scott, my kids, friends, family, the incredible views just outside our door should be enough for a happy life. I could go to the park without a book. I could look at the sunset without doing dishes at the same time. I could read with the kids even when it doesn't "count" for school. I could spend a whole day being spontaneous. I might try it. I'll have to put it on my calendar.

11 comments:

Jennie said...

.... have to put it on my calendar. I totally get that. Soemtimes we don't know what to do with ourselves if our day isn't packed with stuff. After all, we don't want to waste a day away. I disagree with you on one point though. I am ALL for leisure in my mornings. For me it is hard to wake up. I need my eggs, cereal, grapefruit, and a dose of the Today show before I am with the program. I wish I had a little more of your zip when the kids come a callin' during the early hours. Have a great weekend... or what is left of it!

Lisa and Tate said...

Totally understand the need to slow down and smell the roses... and I do not have kids with lessons, school, church, etc. Sometimes I wonder what we are really accomplishing with all this running around? I hate when I see a car full of kids watching a dvd mom on the phone. Where are they going and why do we feel we need to get every second of the day utilizing our time? Oh man, geting off my soap box, sorry.

Thank you for this post. I am going to relax this morning and make a real SUNDAY breakfast.

Since you are a violin maker, have you seen the flick, The Red Violin? A great flick.

Lisa and Tate said...

OOOpps.. must add the flick (mentioned above) has one racy scene. The photography, story and music is fantastic.

Jennifer said...

Very thought-provoking. I drove past the temple on the way to my parents' last week. It was one of the first balmy dusks of the season, and people were out in force enjoying the walk along the boulevard and its view of the lake. I saw a family that made me smile: mother and father bookending their row of children in a wide line on the sidewalk. But then we got close enough that I could see BOTH parents were talking on their cell phones. I was crushed!

Nora Mair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nora Mair said...

You make violins? Wow. Up a notch. And a whole summer in Spain? So impressed. Any thoughts on the Cadbury mini eggs that are out for Easter? [my latest breakfast jolt].

The homestead said...

I loved this blog. I often have to force myself to slow down. I'm sure I miss a lot of beauty in my busy life.

SSWS said...

beautiful writing......

Michelle said...

I'm there with my calendar too!

love.boxes said...

I love to have a two hour lunch with friends especially you Circ, but I also admire the American way of life very much. Awhile back I went to a book club about the book Three Cups of Tea that wanted to claim that Americans are crazy because we live at the pace we do.. however, our children don't have to die of polio.. they have beautiful schools to attend and music to listen to and learn and a million other blessings because Americans get up early in the morning and work all day. And, we reap the blessings of our neighbors who work as teachers and nurses and police officers and in every other proffession. The don't have that in Pakistan and so I think it's crazy of them to drink tea all day while their children die of curable disease and remain un-educated.
C was distgusted when a story came on the news about the depravity of spring break in some cities in America. He said, "What if instead of lazing about on the beach all day and getting stoned all night.. all these kids put themselves to work and did something useful and helpful for that two weeks. What a different America it would be after spring break." He gets to say that because he doesn't know how to vacation and never really went on one until he married me.
This topic interests me and I think that there has to be some kind of balance because obviously happiness is not money and it is spending time with family and friends, but it's also being of use to someone and accomplishing something everyday and so like you... I'm keeping my list, but adding "have lunch w/ Circ very soon!"

love.boxes said...

PS Jennifers comment about the cell phone parents made me sad... unless perchance they were trying to talk with each other... then I completely understand! :)