Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Something Old, Something New




If you've seen Ari this week, you know we got a new mini van. You may have driven by when she was out on the street shouting it to people. I put up these pictures so you can see what I'm up against, trying to keep this new car clean. One is the time Free and Ari finger painted the basement with oil paints and all the neighbors were bringing over industrial strength cleaners out of their garages, trying to get the kids clean. The other picture was taken today. Fortunately, the glue sticks and items from nature did not make it into the car. So tonight's post is dedicated to my two favorite mini vans; the old one and the new one. Here's a comparison, so you can decide which is your favorite.

Old van: Glove box full of Lagoon passes, an empty first aid kit, maps of California, and melted crayons.
New van: Glove box empty, but I may need to dust it again before I go to bed.

Old van: Kids spill a whole bag of movie popcorn right after I vacuum, and I don't even flinch.
New van: Each time the kids get in or out, I follow them with a clean rag, brushing the dirt away.

Old van: Double seat-belting OK, all kids welcome, bring your poor, your tired, your leaky juice boxes...
New van: I'm considering making the kids run behind it instead of riding. It's good exercize and I won't need my clean rag.

Old van: A family of raccoons could have lived comfortably, undetected, with plenty to eat, in the "way back," for months.
New van: Star tries to get in with her wet paws and I twist my ankle lunging at her, screaming, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

Old van: Two listening choices: NPR, or Suzuki Guitar Volume One. NPR always accompanied by Xanthe whining, "TAR music ON! NOW! Stop talking!" Guitar CD always accompanied by Golda hitting her head repeatedly against the dashboard, sobbing, "I can't listen to this ONE more time!"
New van: Has CD player, so the choices are endless, until all the CD's are broken or have rolled under the car.

Old van: In case of a natural disaster, we could have just gotten in the car and found enough clothes for a week, and maybe enough half-full bottles of water to keep us alive.
New van: The kids look like a troupe of mini sherpas leaving the car. You pack it in, you pack it out.

Old van: We pull up to a destination, open the door, and empty cups, homework papers and Subway wrappers fall out.
New van: We pull up to a destination, open the door, and people hear me shouting, "Freestone, you're going to break the new van! Stop pushing that button!"

Old van: We brought home two kids from the hospital and one from the airport in it.
New van: Seats eight, so...who knows? OK, Scott knows. And he's taking out the extra seat as we speak. :)

When we moved into our house a few years ago, we vowed to create lots of good memories in it, to catch up with all the good memories we had in Big Golda's house, where we moved from. Same with the new van. The old van took us to a lot of great places. The new van has some work to do. Road trip, anyone? We can put that extra seat back in!

13 comments:

Jennie said...

I love it Circe! Any mom can totally relate.

Michelle said...

Oh Circe you are the best! this is one of those things Dads just don't get I think. William's chant is "No food in the car!" Well of course that sounds great, until you hear the whining increase in volume as they smell the fries you just got and so you give them one and well, it is a slippery slope from there. Congrats on the new addition to the family,and thanks for the laugh as always!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Congratulations Circe!!! Enjoy it while it lasts - and hey, have you ever thought about strapping kids to the roof? ('Cause I have!!!)

Elisa said...

A new mini van? ~sigh~ Isn't that dreams are made of? Congrats!!!
I laughed so hard when I read "the kids look like a mini troupe of Sherpas... pack it in, pack it out!" LOL! YES!!!
I have often thought I have a family of gnomes living in my van, what with all the clothing and food I find in there!
What a wonderful post! Thanks for the laugh!

Taylor Family said...

How funny! That is why I don't clean out my car. Everytime I do I need the swimsuit that has been there since last summer. You never know when you are going to need left over french fries, smarties and half eaten dumb dumb suckers. Now that is what I call emergency prepardness.

SSWS said...

Hilllarious!! I didn't know that you got a new van! I can't wait to see it at the Kindergarten pick up. I'll bring my camera. Do you spend more time in the car than your house?? Hence all the extra clothes, food etc. is important.

Circe said...

You are all so funny! Nikki, I love the "emergency preparedness" commont! I do feel like MacGuyver at times, pulling out items for any contingency from the depthhs of the back seat.

Michelle said...

We have mom's care and dad's car at our house.

Dad's car is cleaned and vacuumed onces a week, there is no garbage because there is no eating, or drinking allowed (the only spots are from when I used to drive the car), there is anticeptic hand gel placed strategically so wherever you go you can get your hands clean. And there is NO putting your feet on the seats.

Mom's car has french fries all over the back seat floor from trips to get Happy Meals, empty sluch cups, bottles of water, at least 2 changes of clothes, stacks fo CD's as well as books on tape. You can eat anything, and of course you can step on the seat Jake, do you think mom is walking all the way over there to let you out (child proof doors)? Of course not, climb over the seat and come out my door like a good boy.

Rob wonders why when we go anywhere Jake always begs to take moms car. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new van! It's so nice to have brand new things and so nice when they get old and comfortable. I love NPR and Em whines when I try to listen as well! I am reading the Glass Castle. I noticed it on your reading list. It is making me crazy to read about that kind of parenting! We may not be perfect but at least we try hard to do our best...I guess the parents in the book did their best too though, ....whatever that may have been.

Jenny said...

Ok so your memories in our old van are much more exciting than my memories of when I owned it and had it loaded to the hilt with textbooks, textbooks and more textbooks. A great thing for emergency-pre-boredness!

I am glad to see that thing finally die so I can forget that job altogether. If I ever sell anything again it will be pillows! Much lighter!

The mention of bringing home some of your kids in that van brings a tear to my eyes. I have always gotten attached to objects and cars happen to be one thing I become attached to, especially with those kind of memories!

Jenny said...

Oh, and by the way, this blog submission rivals that of the church bag one you showed us on Sunday! So funny!

love.boxes said...

This should be published like your mom said Circ. It is wonderful to have something new. But I love the almost last paragraph... that van carried precious cargo... not to mention, I remember when Brooke had that old brown car and she used to park it all over the city with the keys left on the seat. No-one bothered it. :)

Thanks so much for inviting us to the concert. I hope that c will be inspired to take up music. Everyone did a wonderful job and the girls looked so beautiful while they played their songs. And, I was so glad that free let us know that he had one more song we just had to hear.. because we really, really did need to hear that one!

Marilyn said...

Great story Circe! I hope you enjoy your new van. I always said someone should invent a mini-van like a toaster. When it gets dirty, all you do is open the doors underneath and shake all the crumbs out.
Love,
David