Thursday, December 18, 2008

Are You My Mother?






In a car full of rowdy kids on our way to a swimming party last night, Araceli asked me, "Mom, why didn't Xanthe's mom in China want to keep her?"

Xanthe knows Scott and I loved her so much that we went all the way to China to pick her up. She knows that before we got there, a nanny took care of her in the orphanage, and her nanny loved her very much. We have never taken little Xanthe in our arms and told her that somebody left her at the gate of the orphanage in a t-shirt and a hat with a bottle of sugar water when she was four days old. That information, let alone the reason why, is way beyond a three-year-old's comprehension. None of the other kids in our family got left outside on an April morning, all alone. Xanthe's brother and sisters have been safe and warm and fed every day since the very beginning. They never had their legs tied to their crib, and they never had to drink a bottle while it was scalding hot, for fear of it being taken away too soon. And you know what? It's not fair.

And then there is the fact that somebody left her. We will never know why. We can blame the government, or poverty or ignorance, and we can feel tremendous compassion for Xanthe's birth mother. But I wonder if there will ever be an explanation that will make it OK that Xanthe's mother didn't keep her. And does it make her wonder if my love will ever change? One has to wonder when one has been abandoned.

I never wanted to hide the truth from Xanthe. At the same time, I never pictured myself answering these questions in a car full of kids in parkas and swimsuits, crazy to get to the pool. There are all kinds of platitudes and soothing words, but is there a good, solid explanation for a question that we just don't know the answer to? The hardest part right now, at this age, is Xanthe imagining that she has a mom in China who didn't want her. My belief is that Xanthe's mother did want her, and desperately. Her father, too. In the space of time between now and when Xanthe is old enough to understand that, how do we explain such a primal loss while still engendering love for China and her past in Xanthe's psyche? You never want to see your kids suffer, and the thought that Xanthe will have to open and reexamine this wound throughout her life is painful to me. I think that only through the spirit can we express to Xanthe that we felt her presence in our family long before she got here, that Heavenly Father's plans seem convoluted at times, and that everything she has been through brought her to her forever family. Is is enough?

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh wow Circ. Tears! My heart just goes out to little X and to you. I am amazed at the thoughts of such a profound little girl. You are well equipped though. You know how to say things just right. She was give to YOU for a reason. I am confident of that. Oh how we all, especially little Izzy, love our "Zafee".

Amanda said...

That just breaks my heart! It's plain to see that little Xanthe was meant to be in your family. I know you will have the right words to tell her when the time comes. And there's so much love in your family, she will feel of that and know her hard beginning brought her to where she needed to be.

Michelle said...

If there is any mom and dad that is up to this task it is you and Scott.I know X is in the right family too.

Thanks for a wonderful night tonight, I loved my first ballet class!

Erin said...

Having lost a son, I know what grief feels like. I really can't imagine my little girl having to endure such pain. I am so grateful for your words, Circe, Because they echo my thoughts. What ARE we to tell them? I believe so strongly, and it will be the easy truth for me to tell Libby, that their mothers were guided my a still small voice to leave them. But will our girls believe it? The future holds some very painful discussions. I hope & believe that the Holy Ghost will help them understand. I pray they will have special help. Of course, we would take away the pain if we could, but that is not to be. By design I suppose. Libby has asked if she was born in my tummy. I have told Libby that she was born in China, to a mother who is chinese, because Heavenly Father wants her to be just the way she is... it was so hard to tell her, and I didn't know if I was saying the right thing. I just prayed , and then answered. That is all we can do, really, isn't it?

love.boxes said...

Xanthe's mother must have had great faith and courage to hope for a better life for her and now here she is surrounded by huge numbers of people who adore her. However, I'm sure those questions will be difficult to answer at some point... although not to make light of a serious topic at all, but anyone who stomps their feet at 3 years old and demands to know where their own violin is... pretty much belongs in your family Circ!

Jenny said...

I believe strongly that our families love alone can heal this wound. We love you Xanthe!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Circe. Only the Gospel provides peace and hope of eventual righting of all wrongs. I believe that Xanthe was meant to be part of your family also. The other questions will always be there for us as well.