Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New Rules



Attention, kids:

There will be a few new rules in effect until I finish reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

1.) If you get hungry, there are 80 boxes of Cheerios in the storage room and taco soup in the fridge.

2.) I may not look like I'm paying attention, but you still have to practice. It can be atonal and in 5/4 time. Whatever. You sound great.

3.) Yes, you can have a friend over IF a) the friend doesn't talk to me, b) she prevents you from talking to me and c) she knows where the popsicles are and how to break one in half.

4.) Yes, you can watch a show. Yes, you can have a snack. Yes, you can turn on the hose. No, wait. I don't want my book to get wet.

5.) If you are not at school, you will have to go with me to the park. While there, I will be unable to push your swing, grab the zinger for you or catch you at the bottom of the slide.

6.) There is food and water on the picnic blanket and band-aids in the glove box. If it starts to rain or hail, go under the slide and wait.

7.) If you are hurt and you think something is broken, find a nice mommy and tell her. Do you remember Daddy's phone number?

8.) If it gets dark and you are unable to get my attention, make a nice, soft bed in the bark. You're always complaining that we never go camping, right?

9.) When I'm driving, yell if the car in front of us starts to slow down.

10.) If I start to have paranoid delusions that an alien life form is inhabiting my body, call 911.

11.) These new rules should only last a couple of days. Then I'll be back and you will have clean clothes to wear. But you won't be able to build beaver dams in the creek and forts in the poison ivy anymore. All good things must come to an end.

17 comments:

Jennie said...

So funny... but oh so true. I can't wait to read it. Tell Scott to hurry since I'm too cheap to buy it myself. :) I can wait though. I am only #439 on the list at the library.

Michelle said...

Soooooo funny! Circ! Be sure and tell us if it is good. She sure has dramatic covers on her books don't you think?

Michelle said...

Oh, and Jennie, there are only 8 holds at my library! There has to be a perk somewhere for living in the mission field right?

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love it - you GOTTA tell us how you like it!

Taylor Family said...

That is so funny. You should see my laudry room floor. I have been doing laudry and throwing it on the floor. So I can get back to new moon. Hey at least we have clean cloths. You just have to hunt for them. Can I be third on the list for your book.

Elisa said...

ahhh. the joy of having a new book to read!

I made a blog for the online bookgroup... (anyone can join--so pass it along). I thought since you were leading the discussion, we should get you hooked up to be an administrator.
www.bookbloggingbabes.blogspot.com
If you email me at the address on my blog, i will send you an invite!

Michelle said...

Good heaven's I may need to bite the bullet and buy this one, I haven't had a book I was that into in awhile (and having a book I'm that into is one of my favorite things in life).

love.boxes said...

HAAAA! I love it! To the beaver dams my friends.. get them all built before the rules change again!

Merrill Family said...

Hey I love it. Maybe if I could live by the rules, I would get more reading done around here.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with uninterrupted reading! With five kids that must be close to impossible. I loved your previous blog and mother's day tribute. You are right! We have no right to complain with all the blessings we have and the means to provide for our children. We don't have to watch them cry because they are hungry or get sick from a cureable disease. I loved your mother's advice for children. We all love to feel special and loved! I would like to take that one and use it:)

Kristi said...

You're hilarious! I need to go get that book and post the rules!

SSWS said...

Same rules apply at our house right now. I've already started the "Stephanie Meyer" migrain. It's hard to put her book down and I keep reading despite the pain....see you in a few days.

Michelle said...

I feel I should warn you that my sister has now emailed this post to all her friends in her book club who are Meyer-crazy! So you are big in cyberspace!

Erin said...

Wow, Circe... can I borrow your rules for a few other purposes? Like blogging? Or magazine perusing? I think I might read that biik next week!

Erin said...

Oops... book. Not biik.

Paige said...

I like these rules and would like to adopt them for every day. After reading the Glass Castle I just think we can completely non-parent and our kids will turn out fine! Just like the bicycle issues I'm having- I'm giving my kids the gift of independence and self-sufficiency! Loved your comment on my dance post. We are totally sticking with ballet.

Ronda said...

I found your site and read the post about your book and laughed out loud. I did a post about that book also, got it for Mother's Day-read it and loved it. I just passed the book onto a friend this weekend and told her to dive in. Thanks for the chuckle.