Sunday, September 14, 2008

Read With Your Child


If there's one thing I've learned from years of PBS kids' television, it's that reading to your child is very important. I started the morning letting Xanthe choose a book. Whenever Xanthe opens a book, she mimicks Ari and Free. She opens the book, points, and says stiltingly, "SEE! SAM! I! SEE! SAM!" I thought Xanthe should probably be aware that you don't have to bark out the words like a first grader when you read.

I opened the book and began, "Santa's sleigh was piled high with toys."
Xanthe studies the picture and says, "No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"OK. Down the chimney Santa went."
"Why?"
"Because."
"Betuzz?"
"Yes. So he could leave toys for the kids."
"Where's MY toy?"
"You're not in the book. Let's keep reading."
"Yes I am!"
"Santa left a shiny yellow truck for John."
"That's MY truck! He brought it for Xanthe!"
"No, he brought it for John because Xanthe isn't in the story."
"Yes I am! That's MY lellow truck! Where's me?"

"Xanthe, how would you like to watch a very special episode of Curious George?"

7 comments:

Michelle said...

So, so funny! It makes me want to go to blub or snapfish or even costco and make up a book with Xanthe in it!

Jenny said...

I had that same book when I was little. I love it! That sounds a bit like reading to Kayla. Only it always has to be this one Elmo book about red and blue monsters. You know the kind of book you know by heart because they have you read it to them every night!

Also, if you have ever wondered if Free needs and loves you, wonder no longer. He was so sad to see you go last night. It was cute to see him watch you drive away through the window with tears in his eyes. Sometimes it is just nice to know they need us!

Anonymous said...

You and Xanthe could make a great "read with your kids" promercial for PBS! I love it! I check your book list all the time. I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn..have read and re-read over the years. Our bookclub reviewed it again last year too:) Did you ever read "China Ghosts bu Jeff Gammage?" It was very thought provoking.

Erin said...

Cute Xanthe! That is so funny, Circe!

Kim said...

Your posts are so funny. Xanthe is adorable!

Michelle said...

This is exactly what reading to Jake is like. My expectation is that he sit nicely on my lap, or lay nicely on the bed listening to a story. His expectation is not reading the ACTUAL words in the book but that we use the book as a "guide" to wander off on a thousand different tangents that don't necessarily have a darn thing to do with the book at hand.

Thus we got "Farmer Boy" at the library Saturday morning (because he wanted to read it like Freestone), but somehow ended the first chapter on a lively discussion on what happens to horses if vampire bats get into the barn. (Incidentally the conclusion was that the horses would "freak out".)

love.boxes said...

She is hilarious!