Thursday, August 21, 2008

Baby Boy








My kindergarten baby and I went on a special date today, to get his hair cut for the first day of school. The car is a gold mine for talking to my girls when it's just one-on-one, driving to lessons. Golda, Ruby and Ari all love to open up in the car and talk about their feelings as they do their buns or shuffle their music.

So I thought I'd get Freestone alone in the car and have a heart-to-heart talk with him about the giant step of going off to kindergarten without me. I'd say, "Freestone, how do you feel about starting kindergarten next week?"

Freestone would answer, "You know, Mom, I feel prepared going in. My preschool teachers have done a great job teaching me the alphabet and how to get along with others. There's some anxiety, but I'm just going to go in there and leave it all on the reading rug. I'm going to give it a hundred and ten percent, especially at recess."

Then he'd cry a little and tell me that he's scared to go without his mama. At that point, I would comfort him and tell him Daddy and I would be right there if he needed us, but I was sure he'd have an awesome time. Then Free would put on a brave face, wipe away a tear, nod and say, "Thanks, Mom. I'll be fine."

Well, if you've ever met a five-year-old boy, you're pretty sure it didn't pan out that way. Alone in the car with my newly-shorn son looking so dapper, I said, "So, Freestone, how do you feel about starting kindergarten next week!?!"
"Good."
"What do you think it's going to be like?"
"Dumb."
"What's the first thing you're going to do when you get to school?"
"Go inside."
"Do you think you'll look for your name on a desk?"
"Mom. Did you know Henry can karate chop a pretzel in HALF!?!"
"Wow! Are you excited about kindergarten?"
"In HALF!!!!"

Apparently, he's going to be just fine. Now, who wants to ride in the car with ME after I drop him off?

10 comments:

Jennie said...

So Funny! I can't believe our little guys are almost all grown up. I hope they have an awesome first day.

SSWS said...

I'm still laughing. Yes, Henry is quite impressed with his karate skills these days....I'm glad freestone is too. I love the answer, "go inside." Duh, mom. We'll miss Freestone...are you sure he has to go??

Erin said...

That is so funny! And so true! "Go inside"... that made me laugh!

Michelle said...

So funny! I did exactly the same thing with Matthew today! Right down to the haircut! Great minds I guess. And my results were pretty much the same. Same answer I get after school every day too. "How was your day?" "Good". Brittany can't stop talking about her day. Aah, boys!

Elisa said...

I'll be right there with you on the first day. I am a bawling baby everytime one of my kids starts kindergarten. I am not looking forward to Thing3 starting... I mean I am, but i'm not.

It is so sad to me! Because they are growing up!

My son is the same way. He's in 4th now.

The homestead said...

Just wait until you pick him up from his first day of school. Recess will be his favorite thing followed by lunch and then P.E. You would not even know he was taught or learned a thing. Boys are all the same.

Queen Elizabeth said...

If Freestone had really said those wonderful, insightful things, he'd be going into 9th grade instead of Kindergarten, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Freestone, Golda, Ruby and Ari with school starting. Good luck to Xanthe and her mom with the kids gone:) Freestone sounds like he is ready for kindergarten life.

Michelle said...

Hey Circ, I suspended the witch with the dark green hair, I'll call you to see if I got it right tomorrow

love.boxes said...

Oh Circ. .. :( Kindergarten is the hardest one.