Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weekend in Your Ami









Scott and I still think it's hilarious when the kids argue over whose "Ami" it is, as in "I'm going to Miami." "No, it's MY Ami!" or "Why can't I go to your Ami?"
Anyway, I just got back form my "Ten Year Old Trip" with my dad. A little late, but really fun. It's never to late to have your dad all to yourself for a few days, is it? :)
It was great to take to the skies with a new book and a couple extra shirts. Plus, I got to do things that I never do anymore, like eat food while it's still hot and go to the bathroom without anyone pounding on the door.
Part of the weekend was a classic road trip to the Florida Keys. My aunt Tricia's condo, where we stayed, is just north of Miami. We took her PT Cruiser and drove straight south on Highway 1 all the way to Key West, the end of the road. It's a 400-mile roundtrip, but I knew when we started out that we'd go ALL the way down and ALL the way back. My dad finishes things. If he's at a basketball game and one team is winning by 50 points, he'll still stay until the buzzer. So there was no turning around halfway. We did stop midway along the route to have lunch at a marina restaurant, overlooking fishing boats and some very friendly pelicans. By the time we got to the "90 miles to Cuba" landmark, it was dark. The area around there was quaint, so we strolled up and down the streets and listened to the New Orleans-style jazz coming from a patio wedding at one of the bed and breakfasts. The open road called, and we headed north, back to the condo. I got to hear a lot of stories about my ancestors and Dad's life as we drove. It's one Saturday I'll always remember.
Sunday was an equally memorable day. We went to church in the local ward, which was completely different than church here, yet exactly the same. I was moved, watching the ward members pass the sacrament to one another, a white arm reaching out to a deeply black arm, to a heavily tatooed arm, to a little child. All these people, so diverse, and so much like me, in that we all share the gospel. It was a real testimony builder to hear so many converts bear their testimonies of how the gospel changed their lives when they found it. Their strength and love inspired me.
My dad was in his element when we happened upon a classic car show. Just the previous night, he and the security guard at the condo were watching slide shows of vintage cars on You Tube and naming the makes and models. So it was fun to peruse the line of cars and hear Dad tell stories like the time the engine of Dad's Jag blew up when he was driving 110 through the Nevada desert, trying to break his Salt Lake-to-San Francisco record. Or the time he tried to elude the Kaysville police by driving straight into a cornfield and turning off his headlights. (Right, Dad, like there were several red jaguars in Kaysville in 1954. They probably knew it was you even before they missed the turn and headed into the cornfield, too!)
Dad, thanks for a great "Thirty-six Year Old Trip!" It was an amazing opportunity to spend that much time with you, and I had a great time. Thanks also to Scott for being a fun dad while I was gone, and to Coco for organizing our storage room (I LOVE IT!)and watching the kids! And thanks to Tricia for letting us use your condo and car!
I loved dinner overlooking the water at Le Tub, breakfast and walking along the beach in the balmy air, talking to all the retirees from Quebec and Boston. One of my favorite memories is Dad pacing around the condo at midnight, waiting for Josh to text him the final score of the Jazz game. Meanwhile, he debated about calling and bugging Trajan, and talked to Mom for a few minutes, asking about all the kids. (She was watching Esmae.) When the text came in, he asked me to open it for him and see what it said. Then he called Josh and ranted about Sloan, even though the Jazz won by about 25. I remember that particular moment because it tells so much about Dad. He loves his family and loves to stay connected to them, through sports or whatever. He has built many ways for us all to stay connected, i.e. working with Josh and Scott, visiting us when he walks his dogs, jumping for the phone to call the others whenever one of us shows up. "Well, now that you're here, let's call and see what Trajan is up to." Dad has so many great quirks, I couldn't list them. But I love 'em all! Thanks, Dad!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi circ! Glad you are home! Probably not as glad as your troops are though! My dad has told me he remembers your dad driving a jag in high school! Guess that generation raised a lot of car-guys! Sounds like a great get-away. Good for you!

Michelle said...

Hey, did you cut your hair? I thought you usually do that in the summer--you will freeze to death! Looks cute!

love.boxes said...

What a wonderful trip and what a fun dad! I love the pink pants by the way!!!

Jeremy said...

Scott & Circe -

It's so great to reconnect! A flood of memories from 1989 washed over me...and it is so amazing to fast forward to the present and see your beautiful family. Wow.

Hope you don't mind, I've added you as a link on my blog.

Next time I come home to visit my mom (lives by the horse pasture behind Barnes Bank) we'll have to get together. My girls would love to have some cool friends in Utah.

Send me your contact info via email and we can keep the conversation going. jeremykjensen@gmail.com

- Jer

Jennie said...

So Great! I'm glad you had a great trip. Those types of moments are the best!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a fun trip!!!