Thursday, May 8, 2008

Haiku






Dewdrops, limpid, small
and such a lack of judgement shown
in where they fall

-Nishiyama Soin, 1605-1682

Haiku is so succinct and descriptive. It's true, those crystalline microcosms fall and gather on flower petals and the rusted-out tin cans alike, as if there were no distinction between the two.

When my children are old enough to appreciate me likening them to dewdrops, I'll tell them to be discriminating about where they land. I'll counsel them not to squander their infinite worth by shining like a diamond in an unworthy place. I'll tell them that their surroundings can magnify their potential or extinguish it, so choose wisely.

As a twenty-something, I spent time in the rusted-out places of the world, even knowing that truth and beauty were to be found elsewhere. Now I know better, but my children haven't learned that lesson yet. That's why we go to church every week. That's why we take them with us to concerts. That's why we make them practice and give them good books. That's why we point out the dewdrops and the mountains. It's so they will grow their own judgement, their own reliance on the Spirit. So that when darkness falls, they will know where to look for light. After I've imparted the meagre knowledge that I've earned, I pray that these little souls will be able to distinguish the tulips from the tin cans.

9 comments:

Erin said...

That is beautiful Circe. Happy Mother's Day!

Elisa said...

I love the imagery! That is so so true. I know that in my life, I've had to land on a few tin cans to really understand the beauty that is elsewhere.
You said wonderfully what it is that I wish for my kids as well.

I just love to read your blog! You are a gifted word smith, and an amazing example of motherhood... even if it is through a blog!
Thanks!

Trajan said...

I just read the last few great entries. They were so sentimental I started to cry a little ...AT WORK! Thanks for nothing!

Taylor Family said...

I think that is every mothers prayer. You are such a great writter! See you Sunday.

Michelle said...

Beautifully done as always Circ! Have a wonderful mother's day weekend!

Jennie said...

Ditto - you said it all!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Haiku. Hopefully your children (and mine) will seek for beauty and find it. There is so much beauty in the world. So many lose their way and get lost in the darker side of life. At least if our children are exposed to the good and the beautiful as they are growing they will know to compare it someday (like the rusted can and the tulips).

love.boxes said...

What a beautiful prayer. Amen.

SSWS said...

beautiful!! I'm so happy you landed where you are!