Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our House is Bugged


The cold weather brought in some uninvited guests who, although they don't take up much room, scare the kids. When the first guest, a stinkbug, had the kids running out of the TV room screaming, I named him.

"Oh, Harold? You're not afraid of Harold, are you? He's nice. He's just sitting on the couch because it's cold outside." Bug killing is not part of my job description. I'd rather make up fantasies to convince the kids that it's OK to watch Word World with a stinkbug. He likes Word World.

Later, Scott came home and callously threw Harold outside into the snow. The kids protested, but Scott said Harold was a BYU fan and he deserved to be thrown out. The next day, Harold was back, sitting on the back of the couch. Again, Scott threw him outside. He always comes back the next day, and sometimes he brings a friend. If we had dozens of stinkbugs, I'd be annoyed. Just one a day is oddly comforting, like we are somehow providing shelter for an ugly little bug who really should have died months ago. The other day, I was home alone and I sat down on the couch to watch the snow. I glanced over and saw Harold.

"Hi, Harold," I sighed.

"I know, I'm sick of the snow, too," he responded. We both just sat there and watched the snow fall until I flicked Harold behind the couch so Scott wouldn't find him when he got home. Maybe he can hold out until spring. If Harold can make it, maybe I can, too. I'm going to make him a tiny Utah jersey.

13 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh. This has to be one of your funniest posts ever. A BYU fan... I laughed out loud. Only someone who knew our husbands can fully appreciate how funny that sounds. I guess I also think this is funny because we have the same problem with Box Elder Bugs. They just don't seem to go away.

Jennifer said...

I see the makings of a children's story!

Jenny said...

When I was little we had a spider that lived in our basement shower for months. Now, they all just get squashed at our house.
I hope we can all hold out until winter!

Taylor Family said...

So funny. I love it. I love how I can totally see your personality and Scotts in your writting.

Michelle said...

I hope this hysterical post means you are feeling better! Yeah, we BYU fans are like that, we just keep coming back. Look at me, I've been coming back for almost 30 years now!

Michelle said...

Oh, and I agree with Jennifer. I would love to see more stories about Harold!

love.boxes said...

Hilarious! I'm going to try and be a hold out w/Harold!

Sher said...

I think you might have a case of cabin fever if you're talking to stink bugs!

The homestead said...

Tell Scott thanks for not letting us have the same fate as the stink bug. I like the Ute jersey idea. He just might make it to spring.

The Motherboard said...

I agree with Sher. You may want to get outside... although having a pet stink but would be right up your alley what with all the exotic pets you've had!

laurel said...

That is hysterical!

Anonymous said...

It is really funny. How true to character that you would care about saving even a stink bug's life:)

SSWS said...

where did you get that photo? It kinda gives me the creeps.......Circe, you are as nice as my mom! No ill will to any creature! Great writing.