Saturday, January 24, 2009

What is Worse Than a Rude Kid?



Araceli is absolutely full of love. She brims with affection and expresses her loving nature through hugs, notes and drawings. But she's what people would call a "strong-willed" child. If she has an idea, nobody can stop her. That's why she has gotten out of bed after being tucked in ten thousand times and lives to tell the tale. It's because she will fight to the death to get out of her bed to give Daddy one more hug, and Scott and I aren't willing to go quite that far to make her stay in bed. She's one of those people who could be destined to change the world. Because the world can try but it will not change Ari.

So today at her cello lesson, she decided one section was "too hard" and she couldn't play it. Her teacher could have whipped her with his bow, and I think he wanted to, but she WOULD NOT play that part of the song. I glared. The teacher waited. He explained that the part she refused to play was exactly the same as the part she had already played. I told her she would be in big trouble for the rest of the day unless she cooperated. She said, "OK." As in, OK, I'm willing to be in big trouble for as long as it takes.

In the car on the way home, I was so busy lecturing Ari that I didn't notice the cars stopped in front of me at a red light. Here's our conversation:

Me: "Araceli, you were very rude when your teacher asked you to play the pizzicato, and there is nothing worse than a rude kid!" (Slam on brakes and screech to a halt inches from the car in front of us.)

Ari: "Uh-huh, yes there is."

Me: "What? What is worse than a rude kid?"

Ari: "A car accident."

I spent the rest of the drive home trying to look angry and Ari spent the rest of the drive humming the music she refused to play at her lesson. Ari WILL be writing an apology to her teacher, and she will practice very hard this week. But I can't help but admire her conviction. This girl will never follow the crowd. I just hope and pray that her "road less traveled" takes her in the right direction.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh. Ari has such quick wit.... "uh huh... a car accident." I'm sure you were ticked, but if I were a fly on car window I would have been laughing. You guys do a great job of channeling her creativity and demeanor. We love Ari!

Michelle said...

Yep, I have one of those too. My mom says if we can just get them on the right path no one will ever convince them to get off! I love that conversation-and that your brakes work!

Queen Elizabeth said...

I'm on that train, too. Good luck, Ms. Conductor! (I know I need it!!!) ;)

SSWS said...

That spunk will serve her well....as mike's mom says, "we like them that way!"

love.boxes said...

Smart too! What a comeback line!

Sarah Barber-Bazail said...

This is called, "life with a Scorpio"! I have two and I know exactly where your coming from, but, big Golda turned out ok!