Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Circe K. Dopp


 This morning, I really wanted to arrange the table just right for lunch.  Instead, I was trying to keep up with Tziporah, who was ripping things apart faster than I was putting them together.  I was talking to her in a somewhat cross voice, saying, "You are cute, but I just want to do a good job of something for once, and it looks like that's not going to happen for several more years, if ever!"  Of course, a friend of mine walked into the house to get her violin that I had fixed, right at that moment, so she got to hear me scold my baby.

My friend laughed because she understands, and we can all use a little understanding!  By the end of this lunch, I had 1. discovered my two lost avocados in the freezer, 2. forgotten to serve the soup, which might not have been done anyway, 3. possibly poisoned my friends with broccoli salad that Golda said tasted weird, and 4. hogged up ALL the peanut M&M's.  Oh, and after my friends left, I found on the table TWO clumps of charred horse hair, which I had failed to clean up after I rehaired bows.  So that's appetizing.


 Snow-Olympics-Chinese New Year-Love theme.  Hey, there's a lot going on this time of year!
 Featured at lunch:  charred horse hair and...
 ...frozen avocados.
The important thing is, there was Diet Coke, peanut M&M's (even if nobody got any but me) and those peanut butter bars like the ones the lunch ladies used to make.  And also, friends.  Maybe it was the peanut butter bars and how they made me nostalgic for childhood, but today I just wanted to start a new life where my only job is eating those peanut butter bars while wearing pajamas and warm slippers.  Is that really so unreasonable?

As a perfect ending to this story, I got a call from my friend who picked up the violin:  "We got the wrong violin.  It does not look familiar at all."  That's so funny.  SO funny.  I gave back the wrong violin.  That just strengthens my argument that my talents would be better demonstrated eating peanut butter bars.  I'm really very good at it, and I never get them mixed up.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Well to all of us, it was picture perfect. As long as there is DC and M&M's, you can call lunch a success. :)

michelle said...

I don't know what you are talking about, it was perfect! I still say you must have found a way to get more than 24 hours out of a day because you always get more amazing things done in a day than the rest of us. Although if you find a gig that will let us stay in jammies and eat M&M's please let me know. Oh, wait I think that is called Shelter weekend!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jennie, as long as you have DC and M&Ms along with Peanut Butter Bars, anything can be a success, actually need just plain C for me! and it would be perfect! I thought I was the only one who had days like that and I don't have a two-year old! Best laid plans that seem to turn disaterous sometimes turn out to be the biggest successes, just know that what we see everyone else does not see...to all, it is perfect. Soon, little Tizzy will be grown, no violins to mend, and the "magnificant seven" will have flown to far away places, so relax, know what you do is just right, perfect and enjoy...love you.

sws said...

It was wonderful! I never saw the bow hair - dang. Only you could celebrate 3 holidays at once - you are the most efficient person I know! Thank you for another lovely afternoon.