Friday, February 5, 2016

Celli Celi

Utah Youth Junior Orchestra had a concert.  They are primarily a sight-reading orchestra, meaning new music every Saturday.  It's good preparation for the advanced orchestras, but they don't usually get to prepare a program.  They spent three weeks on the music for this program, and it was super.  Really, really good, in fact.  They played everything from Bach to Mahler to John Williams.  I was impressed.
Kiyan and Araceli were in an orchestra together last year and became good friends.  This year, Kiyan is in the Utah Youth Phil, and was one of the students who played in the jr, concert to fill out the orchestra.  Kiyan is the very nicest boy ever.  Seeing him motivated Araceli to try for the phil next year so they can see each other.
Araceli is sometimes like a playful little puppy.  She got a surprise snowfall when she opened the car door.  My nerves are shot from all the screams of surprise, delight or indignation Araceli throws out there.  I've told you we have a "No Gasping" policy while I'm driving, right?  Araceli is the only kid I've ever had to implement a rule like that for.  With Golda in the car, we practically had to have a no homework rule, as she utilized her time to accomplish things rather than engage in a friendly chat with her mother.  Ruby catches up on social media and reads me funny messages from friends...or at least she did before she got Maria, her red Caddy.  Freestone is ALL chatter.  I should have a silent rule with that kid.  He short-circuits my brain on a daily basis.  You should see me on the way home from the junior high, with all the Freestone chatter and the Araceli gasping, shrieking and rolling down her window to shout at acquaintances.  "Freestone!  What's that kid's name?!?  HURRY!!  Max.  It's Max.  (rolls down window)  "MAAAAAAXXX!"

My brain is fried.  Then there are always a hundred Ara-selfies on my phone.  I love these kids' energy, though.  I'm happy they're willing to wear their emotions on their sleeves, so that I don't have to guess what's going on inside their developing brains.  In that way, they're making my job as a parent easier, if I can just process all the wild emotions!

No comments: