Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sundance Miami Style

Two days after we got back from Hawaii, I had plans to meet my cousin Sarah and her Miami friends Heidi and Nakary in Park City. I briefly considered not going, as I'd driven all night Sunday night and it was a school night and Scott was at a Utah basketball game with his buddies. But common sense is not my strong point, so I did my teaching, delivered kids to and fro, and greeted the young women on my way out the door. I hadn't realized they were having their activity at our house, helping Ruby box up Swaziland books. I loved leaving all that behind and driving up the canyon, especially since I "should have been" home. Dinner was at 8:00 at Yuki Yama. Like a backwater hick Mormon mother of seven, I brought a brand-new book, picturing myself curled up in bed at Sarah's condo by 10 or 11.

These are Miami women. There was no curling up in bed. There was some passing out on the couch at 3 in the morning after much dancing and carousing, but there was no curling up with a book. Sarah and I got a good laugh out of my plans later. It was Sundance Film Festival, and although I didn't get up there in time for any screenings, the real show was the people at the Main Street clubs, restaurants and bars, especially these passionate, adventuresome, gorgeous Miami-ites. They showed Park City how it's done. I told them they can't come back for at least a year. I need time to recover! :)




No comments: