Sunday, November 20, 2016

Nutcracker Rehearsals

Those last three Saturdays before Nutcracker, finale rehearsals are a wonderful, sweaty cauldron of excitement.  I tried to soak it all in, knowing it would be Ruby's last time. She is such a beautiful dancer.  It gives me so much satisfaction to watch her and see that she has developed into such a good dancer.

I could not be happier that Brynn was Clara.  She was exceptionally hard-working, bright and pleasant when she was in my class.



Browning Center staging, palpable excitement.




My Chinese this year were so good.  We hardly had to work on the circle, which is the most difficult part.  That gave me lots of rehearsal time to hone their footwork and spacing.  They were marvelous.
Ruby...beautiful, even if she doesn't think so.
Olivia Perry, Hanna Gemperline, Taylor Francis, Marley, the Spanish.  Ruby so, so wanted to earn that part.  But alas, Nutcracker is rarely perfection.  Rather, it is equal parts heartbreak and elation.
  Ruby was happy to dance the iconic Waltz of the Flowers.  It's a shame each Company dancer can't have the experience of one of the solo dances in the Suite at least once, it's such a special privilege.  The dancers who get the plum roles get them because they are excellent, so you can't argue with that.  Corps is pretty great, too.

1 comment:

Lisa and Tate said...

Ruby is such a beauty and an amazing dancer! There is no denying this truth. I remember when she was the Arabian soloist a few years back. I was in awe. I am worried about next year when there is a certain dancer who is old enough to try out. We might need to hire one of your dancers for a little tutoring.