Thursday, September 24, 2009

93


Happy Birthday, Nana Ruby! Today Nana is 93 years old. I was lucky enough to celebrate with her and Coco and Xanthe at Marie Callendar's for lunch. For Nana's birthday, I tried to think of my favorite thing about her, and I guess it's her love for music. Nana's singing voice has a permanent spot in my brain. I can always recall the cheerful and energetic timbre of her voice when I imagine her singing. There was no time for singing today at lunch, with all the delicious food to eat, but Nana's lyrical voice carried a wonderful quality with everything she said. When the last pie crumb was finished off, Nana said, "Now when my friends ask me what I did for my birthday, I can tell them I had lunch with you." Nana Ruby has a way of making everyone feel special. That might be a quality more beautiful, even, than her singing voice.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a special grandma. I'm glad she's reached another birthday, and that you got to celebrate it with her. Really, she doesn't look a day older than 75.