Monday, September 21, 2009

Modern Pinball Wizard



Question: What inspires young children to read, helps them with math skills and telling time, fosters positive sibling relationships, teaches them to organize their time and prioritize their tasks and motivates them to get their work done? Answer: video games.

Freestone is knocking himself out to earn video game time. All he has to do is read one minute to earn a minute of video game time. Several times, I have caught him earnestly sounding out words with a timer by his side. He is required to read 400 minutes a month for school, and he already has over 500 minutes for September. His stellar reading record is partially due to Ruby reading to him late into the night, and partially due to his video game addiction. Sometimes he has to pause the game to read so he can earn enough time to finish a level. Sad, but funny, too. In the daily slog through practicing, homework and reading, I sure am glad I don't have to nag Freestone to get things done. I can save all my energy getting Araceli through her tasks. I have yet to find her currency. I could try "mommy minutes." Perhaps Ari would willingly do her homework in exchange for time changing diapers and burping Ptolemy. It's worth a try!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I say whatever gets the job done is free game! It's amazing what our "Mom" minds can come up with when it comes to getting our kids to perform!