Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ruby Sparkles



Nutcracker audition day. It crept up on us this year, and suddenly I was waiting in agony for Golda to emerge from her tryout. So many girls came out crying, I was practically hysterical by the time I saw my girl. She made it, and my whole body breathed a sigh of relief. That acceptance paper is a gift, an invitation to a beautiful holiday season that starts now...

Ruby's audition was next. Having her mom as one of the audition teachers was not enough to ruffle Ruby, and she did well. I had the fortunate yet heartbreaking job of standing at the door as the girls left with their results. The joy and despair are palpable as the dancers receive their letters. Ruby, one of the last dancers, took her paper, clutched it to her chest without looking at it and stood next to me. At last, she peeked. I saw the word "congratulations" and melted in relief. Then we saw the writing at the bottom of the page. "Please come to Studio D at 5:00 for a Clara callback." My heart raced a quick lap around my body as I stared at Ruby, amazed and delighted. She was beside herself with elation. I really wanted to fall down and cry with gratitude, after everything Ruby has been through this year with her health. This one shining moment, Ruby's moment, was enough to erase all that. Ruby jumped and cheered and laughed, and I felt like I was soaking up sunlight to see her so joyful.

She had just enough time to spread the news before she had to be back at Studio D. She tried to trick everyone with a sad face, but could not contain her excitement for even a second. The car could scarcely hold Ruby's energy as I drove her to the callback. Afterwards, she said that it was difficult, that she couldn't think, that she couldn't remember much about it. The combinations were hard, she said, but her joy at the honor of being there hadn't waned. Come what may, this day has been a brilliant gift for a little gem. Ruby, we are so proud of you.

5 comments:

julie said...

I was helping with auditions and had to run back into Studio D. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to ask Nancy who was called back for Clara and the Doll. I was thrilled to see Ruby's name on the list. Before I even asked - I knew her name would be there. She is such a beautiful dancer. She just gets it! I too had the thought what a blessing for her to have this experience and excitement in a year that she has had so many health concerns.
I have been so excited to teach both she and Golda - they are the perfect students to have in class. Thanks for trusting me as their teacher one year out of their ballet paths. They are wonderful dancers, but more importantly wonderful girls - I can just tell!!!
Julie C.

Jennie said...

Congratulations Golda and Ruby. We are so excited for you. We can't wait until Tuesday when the parts are announced. You will both be wonderful in any role you are able to dance.

Michelle said...

I thought the same thing, that Miss Ruby really deserved such a special honor after the year she had. And I have to compliment Golda too, she was so gracious and truly excited for her sister when I know she wouldn't have minded joining her at the callback. Congrats to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Ruby and Golda..Ruby, your face just shines with happiness in those picures:)

Emily said...

Good job, Golda & Ruby! We hope Esmae picks up some of your dancing skills!