Thursday, September 29, 2016

Dance Company


Ruby is Dance Company president this year, and she is loving it.  So by extension, the rest of us are loving it, too.  I got to be the first mom to host the Friday lunch.  Except this one was on a Wednesday because of an assembly.  Ruby and I planned to make Elmeda's to-die-for chicken roll-ups, but who am I kidding?  That's a two-day project and I had exactly one morning.  I called my mom and said, "I need you to talk me down from making chicken roll-ups for Dance Company."  She was successful, and helped me come up with Plan B.  It was lovely and the girls were thrilled.  The gasps of delight when they came in and the thank-yous when they left were proof of their satisfaction.


My mom is the best at jumping into the fray.  She is available for any type of help, anytime.  I could not do anything without her, from hosting lunch to raising 7 kids.  And by the way, this was all happening during a bout with cancer and major surgery.  Everything is fine.  But everything was not fine for a few weeks there.  Can you tell by this picture?  Of course not!  Coco looks glamorous and confident, at all times.

Unlike me!  I laugh so hard at this picture.  Look at my hair!  And I wasn't even facing cancer and surgery.  All I was facing was picking up a stack of David's Pizzas!  Rest assured, I was beautiful on the inside.  Tee hee.  And that's Kim King, the teacher we love, who mentors all these bright young dancers.
I love this group, especially Ruby, who is holding up Tizzy so she can be in the picture.  Ruby always, always sacrifices herself for others.  It's in her nature.  She has the beauty on the inside AND the outside.


Next up, the Homecoming parade.  It lasts for 20 minutes, but it's packed with excitement, from the drumline at the front to the last trailing stream of confetti at the end.  I took Ptolemy and he got an enormous amount of candy.  Freestone went with Frank.  It was a good intro to American high school life.
The next day, I cooked 40 pounds of pulled pork and set up the tailgating party for Dance Company.  It sounds like a lot, but it was super, super easy because all the other parents go above and beyond, and the girls plan the whole thing.  I just showed up with my assignment and my people.  Except for Ruby, who was at her "day date" for Homecoming.  It was funny and sad that she had to miss the tailgate.  It was the best one we've ever had!  Oh well.  She had fun, and went to the game afterward.  In fact, the whole family went to the game except Tizzy, Xanthe and me.  We went to Bennion Crafts and relaxed at home all night.  It was so nice to be able to go home and take off my shoes and not have a zillion people to drive around or put to bed.  A perfect end to one of those fall days that you wish would last forever.

Big eyeball face right here.


Celi and her friend Emily
My two boys.
Things don't slow down, do they?  The Davis High Performing Arts Spectacular was the next weekend.  I love this thing.  It's so fun to see all the high school kids do their thing.  Even the stage crew is made up of students.  The are impressive.  This year was especially fun for us, because Ruby choreographed one of the pieces that Dance Company did.  It was a jazz piece that was awesome.  I would have been happy sitting there watching it over and over.
Bruce and Marlene, our superfans!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I thoroughly enjoy watching all the fun and activities that you enjoy together! High school here does not have the same emphasis on football and homecoming but I experienced in Texas a couple of times and it was amazing!! The dance company looks like a great group of gals and your Ruby is a sweetie!

Enjoying following along with all your fall fun and adventures!