Saturday, September 10, 2016

Shelter Weekend

The last weekend of July was Shelter Weekend at the Scheullers' Park City home.  It's our one weekend a year to bask in friendship through 48 hours of non-stop conversation and chocolatey treats, with a backdrop of  aspens and freshly ironed sheets.  It's heaven, I tell you, and it's never long enough.  I love this little group that coalesced out of an open invitation years ago, to periodic dinners at Robintino's, organized my Michelle, our intrepid leader.  I guess you could say we were that last men standing after all the others lost interest or moved away.  And here we are, still relying on each other for all the little and big things in life.

Manicures for some, pedicures for others.  It was fun!  And one spa treatment a decade won't kill me, right?
Meanwhile, as the Shelter girls were relaxing, so were the Euros.  I dropped them off at my parents' condo and told them I'd come up and take them anywhere they wanted to go.  These kids are so nice, they never called me.  They just relaxed at the condo all weekend.  The only time I went up was to take Olympe to the airport Saturday morning.  We were all sad to lose her!  I would have left Ruby my car, but I was still extremely nervous about having her drive these other people's children around.  Not that they're children, for heaven's sake.  They all, including Ruby, travel around the world on their own.  It's just that I have a phobia of my kids driving, and I think it's because Golda was so timid about it.  Now that Ruby drives all over, I'm getting better at not being terrified.  As much as I wished I could have let them drive themselves in PC, I still didn't have the courage. I was more overprotective of the Europeans than my own kids.
Shelter girls at Sushi Blue
Like all good things, Shelter Weekend did come to an end, and we all went home.  Fortunately, I got to go home to Chloe's cooking!  Her recipes are adorable, in her French handwriting, and her food is delicious.  I can't believe we ever let her leave!  Come back, Chloe!

1 comment:

michelle said...

Oh this brings that lovely weekend back and makes me want to do it again!