Friday, October 13, 2017

Coco


Happy birthday to Coco! All my life, she has been a Yes mom. And her yesses have opened all the possibilities in the world. Her enthusiasm has made those possibilities realities, and her automatic love for everyone around me has made the journey possible.

When I was little, I would ask my mom if I could change the furiture around in my room. Yes!

When I was accepted at Indiana University, I remember my mom saying to my dad, "Oh, let her go. It will be fun!"

When I asked if I cold bring friends and roommates home for Christmas? Yes! No waffling. Just, "Of course."

And now, can she drive my kids to ballet? Can she take Tizzy to school? Can she take care of all our kids while we're out of town for 9 days? Yes.

Mom's friend Elayne came into my music store yesterday. She swims with my mom every day, so she knows everything about my mom, and by extension, everything about her grandchildren. It was fun to hear my mom's take on each kid, through Elayne. I heard that my mom doesn't just say yes, she really wants to say yes. I guess she loves us or something!

When Ruby left for Ghana in August, several people confided in her or me that they had wanted to do that exact same thing at 18, or during college, but their parents said no. That would never have happened to me, and it won't happen to my children. Of course I worry about Ruby! But who am I to say no? It's not a concept I was raised with. :)



No comments: