Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Promised Land







It's hard to blog underwater, or even by the poolside. So I haven't been blogging. But I have been reading a book, one sentence at a time, by the pool. Sometimes it's the same sentence several times, because I have to scan the pool every 20 seconds to make sure my diving-board daredevils are still floating, and that Xanthe hasn't beat up a smaller kid and taken their floaties. Xanthe had been busy growing a new fingernail to replace the one she lost on the 4th of July. Whenever she's in the pool, she holds her finger up out of the water. It's adorable, as long as you're not offended by rude hand gestures.

Today was the day Utahns get an extra holiday that the rest of you don't get (ha ha!), so we went to the "Chuckwagon Breakfast" at Bowman's. The kids got to ride in Jim's Model A, so they were the coolest kids in the parking lot. (I hope they aren't the coolest kids in the parking lot when they get to high school...)

The requisite holiday BBQ was at Grandma and Grandpa's, and it was so nice and relaxing. Jeremy brought his giant water slide and it kept the kids happy and active the whole time. There is no better place to be than with family, surrounded by love and Rice Krispy Treats. Thank you, Mormon pioneers who crossed the plains to reach Zion. I'm happy to report that it's still the promised land here, at least to me. I love it!

5 comments:

Paige said...

That finger sticking out is hilarious. I heard other churches have floats in the parade. Did she show them her finger?

Michelle said...

Dang I am missing Pioneer day! Our stake is celebrating Saturday, how anticlamatic is that? Oh well, better take what I can get. Love that funny little face holding up her little finger! Phooey on anyone offended! I wondered where your posts were, trying to come up from under water!

Michelle said...

Hey Circ, you gotta check out this post: http://joecamiseverson.blogspot.com/2008/07/twilight-series-stephenie-meyer-and.html cracked me up!

SSWS said...

Your blog makes me homesick! Love to see that Oakridge and the Dopp's are intact. I'm sure my kids are dying for friends. Can't wait to resume summer happiness. Having a great time. Getting a little sunburned and fat waiting for the tour riders and eating baguettes. Almost finished The Book Theif. wow. Love to you! ssws

Erin said...

That photo of Xanthe is so funny! She and Libby are sporting matching hairdos!