Thursday, July 10, 2008

Playing Dolls






Meet the nursery/playroom/orphanage formerly known as Xanthe's room. Xanthe finally made the leap to the upstairs girls' room after a year in the laundry room. I know it sounds a little bit like Harry Potter living in the closet under the stairs, but Xanthe loved having her crib in the laundry room. I can't even begin to describe what a bad sleeper she was when we got her. It's not that she cried all night. It was worse. She thrashed around her crib like a fish on the deck of a ship ALL NIGHT LONG. At the slightest sound, the thrashing would begin again. You would think a baby who spent her first year in a room with five other babies would be able to sleep through anything. NOT the case with Xanthe. She couldn't get herself to sleep, period. And she couldn't be rocked to sleep, either. She just didn't go for it. It was like trying to rock a baby octopus on steroids. She didn't cry; she just thrashed. Scott and I tried having her crib in our room for bonding but it was a nightmare, so we finally moved her. She loved the dark, confined space of the laundry room. Until I decided it was time for her to graduate to the "girls' dormitory." I like to think of the attic room as a boarding school dorm, with its pink walls and white beds lined up like in the Madeline stories. In reality, it's not quite that romantic. It's more about Ari's clothes strewn over every inch of the floor. She likes wardrobe changes, and she has to see all her choices. That's my theory. Yesterday, she wore a swimsuit, a flamenco-style skirt with silver sequins, AND a swim skirt, with a Build-a-Bear cheerleader skirt around her neck as a finishing touch. Totally normal for Ari.

After we moved Xanthe out, Araceli and I transformed the laundry room into a nursery for her dolls, all of whom have had their names changed to Serena, since Ari happened to catch a little bit of Wimbledon recently. I hope the self-portrait of Van Gogh doesn't freak the dollies out. At least it's not the one where he has a big bandage around his head from when he cut off his ear. Some stories just don't work for bedtime. Good night, Serena(s)!




6 comments:

Jennie said...

We'll have to come and see X's new digs. Way to go X. You are so big!

Elisa said...

What a lovely laundry room! I would keep my laundry done, and put away if I shared it! We wouldn't want the dolls to get lost in the disaster that is my laundry room! You are a good mommy!

Michelle said...

The dollies look so happy! So funny, after this trip to Utah we joked that at Joshua's wedding dinner someday we are going to embarass him by telling how he had to sleep in bathrooms and laundry rooms everywhere we visited. The kids just cannot share a room with anyone!

Jenny said...

Ari really is a cutie and so is X. I bet she is loving being a big girl with all of her sisters.

love.boxes said...

Good for X! Hugs and Kisses to the little chinese princess who has added a little spice to the whole town. :)

Erin said...

This so takes me back to a year ago, when Libby's "hypervigilence" confined me to her bedroom for days on end. I thought she would never sleep a full night in her life. What was up with that? I cannot believe it every single morning now when I wake up, and she is sleeping peacefully in her little bed. It is nothing short of a miracle. I also feel very powerful when I remember that I did that... held her through six hours or more of screaming each night, right after James died, and lived through it. I feel like I am now made of tempered steel!