Monday, September 13, 2010

Peace Be Still

Ninety-nine percent of Freestone's sentences start with, "What if."  This morning, it was "What if there was a giant ball and it had bumps on it and you were an ant hanging onto it and it started bouncing and you were like WHHOOOOOOOOAAAA!  That's what Jesus felt like when he was tossed on the waves."

Scott and I glanced at each other and tuned in more attentively to the story, now that Jesus was a main character.  I wasn't sure where he was going with the ant-on-a-giant-ball/Jesus-tossed-on-the-waves analogy. 

He went on, "But then Jesus said, 'Peace be still,' and the waves as big as mountains went teeny.

Right in the middle of cereal and finding shoes and packing lunches, Freestone had given a little devotional.  Short, sweet and far more effective than my teaching moment on the way home from church yesterday when I found myself saying loudly, "Xanthe!  Jesus would never throw a Littlest Pet Shop toy at his brother!"  I heard someone mutter the obvious, "Jesus didn't even have Littlest Pet Shops.  Or a brother."

From now on, I'm going to leave the teaching of Gospel principles to Freestone.  And I'm just going to listen.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Love it.

Jennie said...

So funny! I love how they catch the obvious things we say and then throw it back at us like, "oh ya... take that". We love those kids of yours! ps - we are still voting you pick the pricey room. It will be fun.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

That is fun to see kids do the teaching moments sometimes. They can see things in ways we can't. I just love all of the "what ifs" from Free.

laurel said...

Terrific!

Nate said...

I love his analogy...Kids seem to really get it. I can't remember if Xanthe has pm Kindergarten but if she does Jane Harvey and another lady (Sally?) who knows you are meeting at Barnes park tomorrow. They will be there around 9:30. I probably won't make it until closer to 10:00 but it would be fun to see you if you wanted to come:)

Christina said...

Thanks for the laugh! I love kids...

Kristi said...

Perfect. Is Freestone available for FHE? I'm tapped out over here.