Saturday, January 29, 2011

Freestone's Concert Review

 Lucky little guy, it was Freestone's turn to go to a concert with me last night.  Freestone told me that "even if the concert is a thousandth of a second long, it will still be too long."  Ari, who was also invited, told him, "I didn't want to go to the last one, but I forced myself to go and it was really good!"  If Freestone thought the same thing after this concert, he didn't let on....

Mom:  Wow, guys, wasn't that concert amazing?  Free, did you see the soloist?

Free:  Oh.  No.  I was looking at my legs the whole time.

Mom:  Did you hear how fast he played?

Free:  I tried to cover my ears.

Mom:  Thanks for going to the concert with me.  It was so exciting!

Free:  It was a big waste of my time.

I think getting a giant cupcake and a whipped cream-topped steamer at Starbucks after the concert helped alleviate Freestone's angst about never getting that hour of his life back that he had to spend tortured by the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto.  But this morning, to underscore the depth of his hatred for music, he said pointedly, "Mom, I hate musicals.  Do you know why?  It's the music.  It's all music and dancing and talking, and then it's over.  It's the stupidest thing EVER."

Do you know what Free does like?  Drawing smiley faces on his practice chart.  It's a good thing he has his OCD tendencies to get him through violin practicing until he learns to appreciate music.  In the three weeks he's been with his teacher, he hasn't missed a smiley face yet!  He wouldn't dream of leaving one of those boxes blank, even if he adamantly refuses to play something if there's no box to check for it.  Maybe I can make him a checklist for concert-going. Or just let him stay home and play video games for the next ten years?  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, I know, I know.  You can splash a few drops on his face, though, and hope he sticks his tongue out.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

So funny! I love his smart little retorts. This is going to be an interesting road to see if he comes around. However, with your guided hand, I'm sure it will come to pass. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

Michelle said...

I am fully confidant that you and culture will win out. Someday a girl is going to think he is the most amazing boy ever because he appreciates the finer things!

Nate said...

I love Free's concert comments...looking at his legs? I know this is a cliche but he will thank you someday!! Thank Heavens for smiley face sticker charts! They work wonders for Emi as well:)

laurel said...

That is so dang funny. I am sure when he gets older his opinion will change, especially if the soloist is a cute girl his age!

Kristi said...

...this cracks me up. I'm sure he will get it eventually. maybe? lol.

love.boxes said...

You are giving your kids a priceless gift. I am just trying to learn a little about classical music at 40. How? I keep the car radio on Classical 89. I don't know how much that will help me, but it's interesting how much the girls like it already and it never jars your nerves like pop music nearly always does. The music soothes the savage beast who sits in the back Houdini-ing herself out of her seat belt and yelling sorry. .. meaning we should be sorry we put her in there.