Saturday, January 8, 2011

Thank You!

This is the school district's newest homeschooler.  I want to thank everyone for all the good advice and words of encouragement.  I emailed the principal and had some dialogue with him.  He is efficient and dispassionate about getting things done, which probably helps keep the emotion out of a lot of situations.  He gave us options, and Ruby, Scott and I just felt good about home school.  Let it be said that I have a lot of admiration for the public school system and the wonderful teachers who care about our children.  The French immersion program, especially, has been amazing.  I have no political or social agenda, and I'm not on the verge of a tirade against society. 

Anyway, Ruby and I are excited to get started.  Coco texted yesterday, "What do I get to teach Ruby?"  Of course, we are thrilled to take advantage of a former honors English teacher.  Bill wanted a spot, too, and offered to teach during his lunch hour.  Wow!  I didn't know I would have so much support!  Ruby chose creative writing with Coco, math at school and science with Bill.  Now we just have to decide on an online curriculum over the weekend.

As if to validate our decision, Ruby said last night, "It will be interesting to see what color my poop is."  Huh?  Turns out, the science project her teacher chose to do was to give the kids different colors of Laffy Taffy and have them report back on what color it made their poop.

Honestly, I'm speechless.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

There you go-another reason to love blogging. I love an instant support group! Good luck, you guys will do great job!

love.boxes said...

Good move! I had a feeling that it might be Ruby and I just think that she is such a strong person that if she felt something was wrong, then it was really wrong. I'm glad she's home! Art projects at Aunt Tiffany's???

Nate said...

Wishing Ruby very well with her new school. Sounds like a dream line-up of teachers:)