Sunday, August 4, 2013

D. C. Weekends

Saturday, we had a plan to get up very early and do a driving tour of the monuments.  Then, after eating our weight in grilled meats and tapioca bubbles, we had an even better plan:  to sleep in and have a relaxed breakfast at home where the kids could get to know each other.  Good plan!
 Lucy, Mitchell and Miles.  Best kids ever!




 Fast friends


The Kwouns were leaving that day for Utah, so they still had some packing to do.  We took off, leaving Xanthe to play with Lucy, to drive by the monuments.  We tried to just drive by, but before you knew it, we were in front of Arlington Cemetery, and it seemed like a bad idea not to just walk through.  Two years ago when we were here, I was pregnant with Tziporah and I remember the hills being exhaustingly steep.  In fact, we didn't even make it to the top where the tomb of the Unknown Soldiers is.  This time, we did, and it was powerful.  I had chills the whole time we were there at the cemetery.


 What if you had a son who went to war...and never came back?


Long story short, the rest of our "drive by" tour resulted in me dropping off six kids and Scott at the Air and Space Museum and going back to Bethesda empty-handed.  In a perfect world, we would have gotten to say better good-byes to the cousins, but I couldn't bring any kids with me because they wouldn't fit in the car when I took Krissy and Sin to the airport, so we'll have to meet up again in Utah.  I so want to see these guys more often.  When we arrived, Miles told me that when the twins were born, I wanted one of them, and it was Miles, but his mom wouldn't let me have him.  Hee hee.  That's not true, I would have taken both of them! :)  But I did almost beg Krissy to sent them out to Utah next summer.  Scott threw in the fact that "We won't even notice they're there," which Emily can attest to, since I lose her kids every time they come over.  So I don't know if that will work in our favor, but I will keep encouraging a visit!

Xanthe and I managed to get everyone to the airport awake, which was no easy feat.  Mitchell and Miles were dozing off, and our job was to keep them awake until they got on the plane.  Miles' eyes kept rolling around, but he made it.  We picked up the rest of our family on the Mall and went home to put certain wired and crazy babies to bed!  (OK, just one baby.  But she was loud enough for several babies.)


Scott took the four big kids to Georgetown, with his boundless energy, and I stayed "home" at Krissy and Sin's, enjoying the quiet and marveling at how many nice things my cousin did for us to make our stay enjoyable and easy.  Later that night, the kids came home hyped up from their outing and we were all in the kitchen talking as Ieno, the Finnish au pair, and her Finnish friends wandered in and out, getting ready for a night out on the town.  A strange and wonderful scene, as we said good night to our second day in the Capital.

No comments: