Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Divide and Conquer

Scott and I are just now realizing what many of you have known for quite some time:  that we have too many kids.  Too many kids to navigate through museums in one piece, anyway, without someone intentionally stepping on someone else's toe or screaming, "Ooowwwwch!" right in front of a sign that says, "Please be quiet and respectful." 

We also realized that one of the best things about having Krissy and Sin's house as a home base is that we don't have to worry so much about parking or the metro, if one of us could drop others off and pick them up later.  Last night, our kids' greatest desire in life was to sleep in, which we gave a valiant effort at, until the cleaning lady arrived at 8 and we got up and skedaddled.  8 is pretty late, right?

I feel like my blog is becoming a "Cheapskate's Travel Guide," but there are a lot of ways to save when you have a big family, and we kinda have to take advantage of all of them.  We grabbed 2-for-$3 bacon, egg and cheese biscuits and water at McDonald's on the way to the Newseum.  Breakfast for 9, $12.   At the Newseum, up to four kids can get in for free with each adult.  That was perfect, since Xanthe doesn't have a natural talent or inclination for reading plaques and looking at exhibits.  I get the feeling she mostly wonders about what snacks are in the bag most of the time.  (P. S., after Mount Vernon today, she said her favorite part was the food court where she split a Pizza Hut personal pan pizza with Ptolemy.) 

After dropping off the Newseum kids, I had three cute little kids and unlimited choices.  I started driving north on the George Washington Parkway, thinking that I would visit a friend of mine, Yanfu, who has a violin shop close by.  I ended up seeing a sign for Mount Vernon and, since the littles were engrossed in a movie, I thought the 14-mile drive would be pleasant.  Turns out, the route went right through Alexandria.  On the spur of the moment, I pulled over to get my oil changed there, since I knew I'd have to do it before heading home.  Leaving the car at the place enabled us to walk all over Old Town Alexandria without having to pay for parking!  Am I an accidental genius or what?!



The kids and I had a pastry at Starbucks, walked down King Street to the waterfront, oogled the ducks and the yachts, then hopped on the free trolley to pick up the car.  Alexandria is so quaint, I couldn't take in enough of the architecture.  I'm glad we had a chance to walk so much of it.  The oil change was only $32, by the way.  I had to add that because the mechanic said the place across the street charges $65.  So lucky!  $32 is cheaper than Kaysville!

The drive to Mount Vernon was, indeed, a gorgeous, wooded drive, even if Toy Story was playing in the background.  I am so happy we decided to go there.  Admission is $17 for adults, and $8 for kids 6 and up, so only two of us had to pay to get in.  If you were really cheap, you could just do the gift shop and food court for free, and walk around the surrounding woodsy trails to get a sense of the area.  But I'm so glad we went in to the Mount Vernon grounds.  The setting is spectacular, nestled between the Potomac River and endless rolling hills.  The Potomac is a mile wide in spots so it looks more like a bay than a river.  Looking out over the Potomac from the mansion, the opposite shore is green and untouched, due to the foresight of a wise congresswoman a hundred years ago who used her own money to buy up the land in order to put it into a trust so that it would never be developed.  She inspired congress to vote to buy the rest of the land for the same purpose, so that future generations would be able to see what George Washington saw when he stood on his veranda.

Upon arriving at George Washington's mansion, Ptolemy said, "Is this our new condo, Mom?"  Poor confused kid, we have stayed in entirely too many hotels!  Not that I'm complaining!  But no, we were not to stay at Mount Vernon.  We did tour the house.  The tour clipped along at a brisk pace, there were plenty of interesting tidbits, but I never felt like I was trapped in a history classroom.  It was very well done.  After the tour, there was so much more to see.  We spent probably four hours there, covering acres of farmland, a wharf on the Potomac, a recreated farm with period actors in costume, English gardens and numerous outbuildings.  Xanthe and Ptolemy loved all of it and never complained.  Xanthe even got to try her and at winnowing wheat, and Ptolemy planted some wheat kernels.
 Playing Peek-a-boo, 1776 style.

 "Is this our new condo, Mom?"

 At Mount Vernon, I found out Ptolemy knows how to write his name!  He did all that by himself except for the e and the y.  I didn't know he could do that!  The adventure maps were fun for both of the kids.  They filled in clues as we went along.


 Xanthe has a number of elegant poses at the ready!
If she's had too much, she just checks out.  Such a good girl!

We finally got hungry and went to the food court for the pizza that Xanthe later remembered so fondly.  I guess I can't expect the kids to remember anything.  I'm just happy that they're happy in the moment.  Besides, it's not like I remember anything.  At one of the museums Monday, my brain must have shut down.  I was looking for the "You are Here" dot on a map ON A BROCHURE.  Duhhhhh.
 Graceful Golda in the light.
 Krissy and Sin's house.  It is so nice!
 The Washington, D. C. LDS temple
 Visitors' Center


We're so proud of beautiful Golda.  We love her.


A very successful day for both Dopp parties, capped off by a drive to the LDS temple so that Golda and Ruby could see how it pops up over the beltway, looking for all the world like the Emerald City or something.  For this, I just took the two girls, and then the temple ended up having a really neat visitors' center.  That's the problem with dividing and conquering.  There is always something you wish the others were there to see.  We'll have to go back with another batch of kids.

"See, we DO have more kids, Mom!"




7 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so brilliant! I love your travel log!

Anonymous said...

What a fun, beautiful day. Even without pictures I can visualize you doing the things you describe. I can only imagine how beautiful Mt. Vernon and surroundings are. Thank you for your description. Enjoy tomorrow whatever it may bring, look forward to FB pictures and your blog. Enjoy! Be safe and well. P.S. What a deal on the oil change! xo Tricia

DeBryFamily said...

What a great trip. I love your free parking in Alexandria!! You've got to be creative when it comes to traveling with children. Fun memories--even if all they remember is the food! Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Lived in DC for many years. Reading your experiences makes me homesick and so happy for your family's adventure. I love your blog. Thank you for sharing. Melanie (Fillmore) Cameron

sws said...

I'm so glad you got to Mount Vernon. That is definitely one of my favorite places. Your kids are so lucky - what an adventure. I know they will remember more than the pizza. It's been fun to travel along with you, oil change and all!

The homestead said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Thanks for the updates.

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you guys are having all of these fun experiences. We are going to pick your brains for our October trip. Keep the updates coming. We love to read every word.