Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day Two in DC, In Which Dad Joins Us

Friday in DC, all 14 of us woke up - the 8 Dopps, the 5 DeBry-Kwous and the au pair, and headed out our separate ways.  Krissy just started a new job this week, and Sin had to tie up things at work before their big Utah trip.  The kids had magic camp, so I took my kids to the National Zoo.  As Krissy's kids left, I said to them, "Please bring me a pink balloon shaped like a poodle from magic camp, to match my hair."  Later, when we met the kids after their camp, Mitchell proudly presented me with a pink balloon poodle.  Eventually it came out that there had been a scuffle over the balloon with another kid, and the camp director tattled on Mitchell to Krissy.  I thought it was adorable, Mitchell fighting off the other kids in order to fulfill my balloon wishes.  These kids can melt your heart!

The National Zoo was just waking up when we got there, about an hour before the exhibits open.  It was cool and humid as we walked around, eating a snack about every hundred yards.  (BTW, Krissy had been to Costco and purchased a mountain of snacks and drinks for us to consume while we're here!)  Even though the animal exhibits don't technically open until 10, the grounds open at 6 am.  When we got there at 9, we saw all kids of animals, and it wasn't crowded or hot.  We walked right up to the panda, where there was an hour-long line later in the day, and watched her sleep.
 Golda and Ruby's first morning back with the family.  They were happy.
 I laugh.  Xanthe's ubiquitous tired pose.
 Until you point a camera at her!

 Snack break!!


 Freestone's favorite animals were the naked mole rats.  There was a huge exhibit of them because I guess they gained popularity through Kimpossible, the Disney show, several years ago.  Another favorite of Freestone's was this little elephant mouse or something.  It was a mouse-like creature with a little dangly elephant trunk.  Freestone said, "I have fulfilled my life's destiny.  To see a mouse with an elephant trunk."

Wow, I didn't even know my own son had dreams and aspirations related to rodent proboscis shapes.  Glad to oblige you on that one, Free.  I love a good day at the zoo, and it was fun to walk around and talk to Golda and Ruby about their summer.  They were amazed at how many cute little black kids came up to me and said, "Excuse me, ma'am, I love your hair!"  We got a kick out of it every time, and it was usually the black girls with their hair all fancy in beads and braids.
 The balloon Mitchell fought for!



 Miles wants to start violin lessons, so I brought a couple for him to try.  Here's Sin giving him his first lesson!

 Ruby trying out her rusty fingers on Sin's new custom-made guitar.
 The drums are for kids to play!  Wowzers!!

 After the zoo, we met Krissy and Sin at the park where they had picked up the kids at magic camp.  Mitchell proudly presented the pink poodle balloon, and we all played in the shade at this amazing park.  This area has so many beautiful places and things to see.  Meanwhile, Scott was en route from Utah.  With traffic conditions on a Friday night leaving DC toward Baltimore, it was going to be faster for him to take the metro.  We ended up meeting him at the metro stop just up the street from the Korean Barbeque Krissy and Sin took us to for dinner.  Golda and Ruby ran toward him on the street, and he had a beard!  A full beard, which I've never seen on Scott.  It looked good!  Our family was finally united after what, six weeks?  It was a good feeling.

 Soooo...how long on that brisket?



 I can't even tell you how delicious all those meats were at the restaurant, Iron Age, cooked on grills right at the table and served with a plethora of delicious side dishes.  At the end, Freestone had to order just one more piece of the spicy pork belly, it was so greasy and delicious!  My favorites were the ribeye and the brisket, but they were all delicious.  Since we were stuffed completely, it would make perfect sense to go get bubble tea.


We hadn't even had this experience, so we didn't know that the bubbles are tapioca.  We got a variety of bubble smoothies with big, black tapioca beads in the bottom.  The coconut was my favorite, but Tizzy went for the mango.  She would not give up that cup for anything!  I bet she had a pound of tapioca in her stomach when she went to bed.
This is the best picture of all time.  Tizzy would not give up that cup for anything!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I want to see the pictures of the beard! There have got to be pictures! I love that you are all together again!