Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Freestone's Program

 Dopp, Freestone
Homework:  What I am Going To Do This Week-End

This weekend I will read in French 15 minutes a day and I will practice every day.  If I have homework, I will do it.  I will do other things like games after homework and practicing.  Finally, on Sunday I will practice and go to church.

I love this homework!  I especcially love how many times Free says he is going to practice.  This whole 85 days in a row thing is really making an impact.  Either taht, or he couldn't think of anything else to write.

And then there's the math homework.  Freestone missed seven questions in a row because he used the word "shmeeleys" instead of "thousandths."  Why?  Because he "didn't know how to spell thousandths.  Never mind that the word is written at the top of the page.  Last week, Freestone asked Trajan, "Am I doing a good job of acting normal?"  Well, usually if you have to ask...

I can understand if Freestone has been a little preoccupied.  Tonight was the Fifth Grade Program and I have to admit, we were all looking forward to it.  It's a patriotic program which uses songs to narrate the history of the United States.  I always watch the entire thing with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, and this time was no exception.

Freestone insisted that Scott go with him to be the first ones in line to get in, so that we could have good seats.  They ended up being the second family in line, after the Ericksons.  I guess since we like them, second in line was OK. :)  Freestone has taken this program very seriously.  He brought home a recorder to practice on, which I promptly insisted he take right back to school.  There is no way.  He was upset that he never learned the recorder part to his satisfaction and blamed me.  (Well, it WAS my fault.)  I said, "Have you ever heard of lip synching?"  From the sound of 100 fifth graders playing the recorder, either quite a few canaries died inside those flutes, or a lot of moms put the kabosh on practicing at home!


 Gage and Maddie
 Caleb
 Our neighbor and Sam Hunt
 Nevertheless, the program was excellent.  My favorite part is when the kids sing all the songs from all four branches of the military and past and present military personnel are invited to stand during their song.  I was proud to see my dad stand and take off his Navy cap to be recognized when "Anchors Aweigh" came up.
 There's Freestone leaving!  I'm a great photog, huh?
 Tricia braved the ice with her recovering foot to hear the program.

 After the program, Scott and Golda left to get the girls to dance.  Dad and I couldn't find Freestone anywhere, until he surfaced and admitted that he had been searching for the exact chair he had before the program, to take back to his classroom.  It was the chair he had on the first day of school, and he needed that particular chair.  Bill said, "Well, Freestone, it's good to know you and your grandpa Bill are keeping the world turning with our OCD."  At least Freestone comes by it honestly!

The only downside to the whole program was that we didn't order a DVD.  Freestone was sad because he thought Don Carlos would enjoy watching it, since I opted not to sneak him in to the school inside my coat.  We'll have to borrow a DVD so the dog can see Freestone and his awesome classmates perform their hearts out.  Truly, I'm sad it's over.  Great job, fifth grade!

3 comments:

Emma said...

His handwriting is so much like yours! I love the program too. Poor canaries.

Jacy said...

Well well well .... I'm feeling all famous being mentioned on your blog :) We like you too ... a LOT!! And I videoed a part of the recorder - uh ... performance. I'll see if I can upload it to my blog so you can enjoy it once again hahahaha!! And Freestone did awesome on his singing :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful program! and Freestone was awesome. Thank you for inviting me to come, loved being there and hearing the patriotic program. I always love anything patriotic and the music and what a joy to see the young people perform especially at Morgan...Loved it when the military stood up, proud of Felshaw, my brother, and all who served and are serving, a big thank you to all of them. Again, thank you for the invite, a delightful, tear jerking ceremony. Well done students! xo Tricia