Monday, January 27, 2014

Ruby's 15th Birthday

Yesterday was Ruby's 15th birthday!  The Brian Head trip was meant to be part of the celebration, and we did celebrate, but it wasn't quite as thrilling as the surprise trip to Miami she got for her birthday last year.

What WAS thrilling was Scott whisking her off to the Paris Bistro Saturday night when we returned from our trip.  Ruby has always been a foodie.  We were reading old journals last night, and I had written, "Ruby is six months old and she just started eating rice cereal, although I think she would rather eat grown-up food.  Whenever we eat, she watches the food like a hawk, opening her mouth whenever we put food in our mouths, and smacking her lips."  Ruby had a steak with pepper sauce at Paris Bistro and thoroughly enjoyed it.  She is always fun to be with because she's so funny and witty and loves to laugh.  She and Scott had a great time on their birthday date.  After dinner, they went across the street and chose a book, Code Name Verity, at the King's English bookshop.

 On Ruby's actual birthday, she woke up and worked on her talk.  She gave a wonderful talk in Sacrament meeting on feeling God's love.  My favorite part was the conclusion, where she said that God's love is always there, we just have to recognize it.  That is so true.  I love it when my girls get to speak because it's so rewarding to hear their thoughts and know that they are living up to their divine potential to the best of their ability.  I'm so proud of all of them.

The Kings came over after church for dinner and presents, and we had an enjoyable dinner:  Olive Garden minestrone soup and salmon over salad.  It was the perfect meal, provided by Coco, Emily and Tricia, in that it reflected Ruby's early taste in food.  When she turned three, Scott and I took her to the Olive Garden for her birthday.  She ordered blackened salmon, caesar salad and tiramisu.  She pays attention to things, and she knew what she wanted!

I had written in my journal about Ruby, "It was the same with Ruby as it was with Golda.  It wasn't necessarily time to have a baby, but she was waiting and I knew it.  I wanted her here, NOW."  It's mind-boggling what remarkable spirits are in these children, ours and those around us.  I have a spiritual mandate and blessing in my Primary calling to love all the children I serve by teaching them music.  I treasure the love I feel for them as I look at each little face and know that they are of infinite worth.  With my own children, I feel that to an immeasurably higher degree.  I see them and know that their journey didn't start here, nor will it end here.  I feel their strength and I know that they are on an eternal trajectory that Scott and I are somehow lucky enough to be a part of.

Ruby is an old soul;  we have always said that.  She has wisdom beyond her years.  I wrote in her journal when she was only six years old, "Sometimes I feel like I can relate to Ruby as a peer, and I have to be careful not to do that, so she can just be a kid."  In truth, Ruby was never a kid, and she still isn't, and that's OK.  She is beautiful through and through, and anyone who loves light and life gravitates toward her.  Golda and the rest of her brothers and sisters see how great she is, and they always want to be with her.  She is their center.  Ruby, we love you!  Can't wait to see what you come up with for FIFTEEN!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Happy Birthday, Ruby. It is fun to learn more about you!

Jennie said...

I agree. Rubes in an old soul, and one we just LOVE! I hope your birthday was special Rubes. This next year is going to be full of change with high school, driving, dance, etc. No matter what the future holds, I know you will handle it with grace. You make everything look effortless. Love you!!!

The homestead said...

Happy birthday Ruby! I hope you have a wonderful birthday week!

Shane and Kenzie said...

Ruby is truly one of a kind. I have so much respect for her maturity!