Thursday, January 2, 2014

Gooooooooooal!

I feel conflicted about New Years Resolutions.  One one hand, I am motivated and determined about the new year, so why not set some goals? On the other hand, I'm already doing a pretty good job of being me, and if I'm not doing better, it's because I can't, so why put any more pressure on myself?  I mean, if I COULD do better, wouldn't I already be doing that?

If I do set goals, I want to accomplish them right then so that I don't have one more thing hanging over my head.  Scott and I got an "assignment" from our bishop, to go to the temple once a month for the next six months and invite another couple to go with us.  My first thought was, "Does it count if we go one time, later today, with six couples, then we're done?  Or what about six times this week, with someone different each time?"

It would just be better for me if I could finish all my resolutions in January, then go back to being mediocre the rest of the year.  That said, I do have some goals.

First, all the kids are going to practice for 85 days in a row, because that is how many days are left before our beach trip.  This one I can't fail at because, well, I have charts.  It's foolproof.  This morning on the way home from violin, I said to the kids,  "Everyone who practices 85 days in a row gets $10 to spend at Bibbey's Shell Shop!"

Freestone countered with, "I already have ten dollars to spend at Bibbey's."

Oh, I'm so not doing the "upping the ante" thing.  I said, "OK then, let me rephrase.  You are going to practice 85 days in a row."

He folded his arms and huffed, "Fine."  I have to keep reminding myself that since we're putting in the time and money for music lessons, we might as well do a good job of it.  That's what keeps me going:  resigning myself to the idea of doing a good job.  I don't sound all that energetic right now, do I?

My other thing was to read the Book of Mormon, which I was going to hurry and do this week.  Then I joined @bofm365 on Instagram and saved myself from doing my whole year's worth of scripture study by January 8.  Granted, if you break it up into 365 days, it's not that much every day, but at least I get to start the day off with something to contemplate.  Ari is doing it with me, so she'll have that checked off for her Personal Progress.  (It just bothers me that it's going to take all year.  I COULD do it faster, you know.)

Which leads me to my other "goal," or "half-hearted attempt to better myself," which is finishing my own personal progress, which has lain dormant for over a year.  I think I can get that done by Sunday.  And I'm also going to lose 7 pounds in the next two weeks, so I won't have to worry about THAT ever again, until next year.

Then I'll kick back and enjoy the rest of 2014 as my regular self.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

For the first time in my life, I have resolved to set not a single new year's resolution. And for the first time in my life I may actually accomplish what I have resolved to do. Boy that feels good. Oh, and the whole Personal Progress thing? I'm still on Faith value experience #1. Praying every day for two weeks straight shuts me down every time. And because I'm an all or nothing kind of gal, nothing is sounding totally attainable this year.

Jennie said...

So funny. I have the same thoughts about goals. I just want to get them done. Teach me how you lose 7lbs. I'm horrible at that. I CAN'T seem to stay away from sugar. :)

Jennifer said...

I know, you can invite me to the temple! Think it will count?