Monday, April 28, 2014

Friday Adventures


 I just love having days free with these kidlets.  That's why I try not to volunteer at the school and all that other stuff that can so quickly fill up the days.  I'm busy!  I have two little kids to hang out with!  It's harder than you would think to escape with them.  I have to make a concerted effort to plan outings with them, and I feel like I'm a big slacker in other areas when I do, but dangit, these are my last babies!

Friday, we ran away early in the morning.  First stop, the Discovery Museum, where, after managing to get away from home, I had a bunch of stuff to address via text, while the kids played in the toddler area.  If anyone asked why my four-year-old was in the baby area, I was prepared to say he was a two-year-old with giantism.  I needed Tizzy contained in there so she didn't bolt while I sold a cello over the phone! :)  I only had the employees bring her back twice, so that's progress.
Next stop, the Planetarium.  It's free, so it makes sense to swing by there whenever we're at the discovery.  Plus, I was hoping that the pendulum would lull them to sleep!  Not the case.  In a flash, Tizzy was in the gift shop trying to buy up all the "You Can Be a Woman Astronomer" kits.


 It was such a nice day to be downtown, I took the kids to the Church History Museum.  This is the building they disappeared into, right next to our secret downtown parking spot, while I was on the phone telling Scott how adorable they are.  Notice how it says "restricted access?"  I have no idea how they punched in the right keypad code.

 The flowers were still spectacular, and so was the museum.  Ptolemy was wary going in.  He asked, "Is it JUST art??"  It wasn't JUST art, and I love how the art is right there with the children area, so that it seems like a normal, accessible, necessary part of life.  This exhibit was about women and their various roles in life.  A couple of the paintings really spoke to me.  I felt inspired, being there with my little ones, seeing them play so happily, surrounded by the spirit that is so present in the museum.

 I love this.
 Isn't it chillingly wonderful that there is a free place to go, that is full of beauty and art, where kids can create and see and be inspired?
 That painting behind Tziporah was my favorite.  It depicts a mother, with an angel reaching down to adjust her halo, while a host of angels looks on with concern and love from the sky.  It is a representation of what I feel must certainly be the case, as each of us needs - and receives - inspiration and divine guidance on a daily basis.

 And then we went home, completely inspired.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

So glad you took the opportunity to go. You've inspired me to see the exhibit. The last time we went it was the Scout exhibit. You know how much we are into Scouting, so.....