Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Saturday in August

Saturday morning, Scott and I had breakfast with our old friend, Christian.  We go way back to 1983, Kaysville Junior High.  Chris was in town because he booked a last-minute ticket to fly out here from South Carolina to see his grandmother.  He spent a nice afternoon with her, and she passed away the next day.  She was deaf, and whenever Christian tells stories about her, those stories are accompanied by sign language.  They were close, and I'm happy he got a chance to say good-bye.  At our Park Cafe breakfast, we remembered stories from our past.  One that I'd like to thank Christian's parents for again is the time I had an overnight layover in Boston and called Christian's house to see if he could meet me at the airport to say hi.  His family had moved to New Hampshire our senior year.  Christian's parents decided to surprise him by picking me up at the airport, a 90-minute one-way, and bringing me to their home while Chris was at work.  We only had a few hours, so we stayed up all night talking, and Christian's dad drove me back to the airport early in the morning.  That's the kind of parent I hope to be to my kids' friends.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure that was the trip where I came home early because I was in love with Scott, hence the heinous layover in Boston.  We have lots of stories like that; we've had 30 years to compile them!
 This is my cousin Kristine, the one we visited in D.C. last year.  I have been looking forward to this year's visit for quite some time.  To maximize cousin time, Krissy and I planned a DeBry party.  Julia sent out an invite on Facebook.  Scott's reaction: "Oh, Julia has invited me to a party...on August 9...at Circe's house."  That's how he found out about it.  I don't warn him ahead of time; he gets too excited. ;)
Marla's famous lemon dessert is practically extinct.  If you're lucky enough to see a bowl of it in the wild, GRAB SOME!  Thank you, Marla!!
Chloe, Olympe, Jessie and Danny.  Jessie just got back from Thailand, where she modeled and won a bunch of beauty contests.
Dan, Gordon, Jon and Scott.  Jon asked me what the occasion was and I said, "Scott just begged me to have a party."  Tee hee
Dan, Judith, Annie, Molly and Matthew
Laura, Nana, Mary, Dot and Micaela
Olympe and Mic
Jessie, Miles, Uncle Jim, Nana, Peter, Danny, Frank, Eli and Jon
Six days and counting until these tow are married!  Micaela is so outgoing, she wins over everyone in her wake.  We love having her around!
Lucy and Xanthe got to have a sleepover.  Next time, I think we'll be able to convince Lucy to come for a whole week and bring her brothers!  These two almost look like cousins.  ha ha!
Marla and I planned the menu for Cooke City.  I'm so excited to be up there with them!  I like how my grocery list says "lunch and dinner."  I've got some latitude there.  I took a picture of the list because I knew I would lose the paper.
David, Marilyn, Owen, Krissy and Sin, some of my favorite people that we stayed with on our cross-country trip last summer!
All of the Kaysvillians, minus about 15 of our kids.  The party was great so much fun, I didn't even take pictures of most of the people there.  I tried, I really did!  But there was lemon dessert to eat and a ton of pizza, and so many cousins to catch up with.  And so many kids!  They are amazing at entertaining themselves.  It's like, "This is Mitchell.  This is Miles.  They are your cousins from D.C.  Go."  And they do.  Four hours later, you're trying to round them up, largely to no avail.  Now that's a successful party!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

You throw the best parties friend!!

Mmmm... Now I'm in the mood for something lemon and it's only 8am! :o)

DeBryFamily said...

FUN times! Glad that we live close and get to be in on your parties!

laurel said...

You are awesome!