Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Mormons for Muslims

There have been a lot of marches and protests since Trump took office. Then of course there have been the people who mock the protesters, saying it's sour grapes and gee, it's too bad those protesters don't have a life like the rest of us. Well, it would be great if everyone could just embrace everyone else's point of view and respect other people's consciences. I think if it like this: a march is like worship services. Your presence there doesn't necessarily make the world a better place in an instant. You go there to pray and praise God, connect with people, feel uplifted and energized, and to share your love and feel it returned to you. Then you go forward and you make the world a better place by being a more understanding, connected, compassionate human. You do the things that make you feel alive and true to your spirit, and that's how you spread love.

Freestone, Ruby, Abbi Wagstaff and I met Scott and the littles downtown and marched up State Street to the Capitol. The march was called "Mormons for Muslims" in defiance of Trump's executive order to ban people from seven countries, including refugees and those with visas and green cards, from entering the U. S. You can think that's a good idea. I don't. It makes me sick, as does the intolerance it has created. Marching in solidarity with so many beautiful faces gave me hope. The air was electric, and flooded with love and goodwill. Reading the different signs was fun. Some were angry, some were funny, most were about love and acceptance. We were all just united in our desire to unify our community. It was a gorgeous day and my heart was filled with gratitude that I live amongst people who care to take a stand. Yes, you can choose to take a stand by going about your life and "lifting where you stand," and I do that too. But it was just neat to experience such unity.

After the march I went with Freestone, Abbi and Ruby to a Ririe Woodbury performance and Scott took the kids home to recover from their overnighter in Salt Lake. I'll have to post all the cute pics Scott sent me from their adventures.




























No comments: