Wednesday, May 24, 2017

RIP, School Year

School started 12 minutes ago and Ptolemy is asleep in a cardboard box. School year's time of death: 9:02 AM, May 23, 2017.

I wish I had it in me to fight this, but nope. I'm not entirely sure I even have enough energy to be happy about the end of the school year. I'm so tired! I need a big cardboard box, three days of sleep and some kind of vitamin cocktail IV.

That's not going to happen, is it. Darn. I was a big academic failure this school year. I pushed Araceli because her grades count, but the others just sailed though the best they could. I kept meaning to do better, but the school year flew by so quickly, and before I knew it, there was a stack a mile high of homework packets in Ptolemy's backpack. It seems like every week, we made a valiant effort on Monday if we were ambitious, or Thursday night if we weren't, but somehow, there was always an extra packet to do. How were we always a week (or 4) behind?

The best I can say about this year is that, being Ruby's senior year, I wanted to take time to hang out with her, and make time for the other kids to be with her. We did. They did. It still went by too quickly, but I know we spent nights up too late in the kitchen, cracking up, dancing, talking, and just not worrying about anything. So there's that. And in the end, that's really all there is.

No comments: