Saturday, May 20, 2017

Sister Dopp's Call Home

Talking to Golda on Christmas and Mothers Day is thrilling, but I sure am glad it doesn't happen more often. It makes me miss her more to see her face and hear her voice!









The call had some special highlights. Golda bore her testimony in Cantonese, which is about the most impressive thing ever. I still can't believe she can speak that language! She also memorized a passage of scripture in Cantonese that Scott challenged her to memorize and said it to us in Cantonese. Golda had mentioned that she hoped Evyn could be there, so he came over. Coco and Bill and Josh and Emily and their kids came over last-minute to see Sister Dopp's blurry face on our computer. We had some technical glitches, and then it was all good. The picture could have been better, but at least the sound was good.

My favorite moment was during Freestone's turn when he and Golda were talking about ballet. She asked him to do a pirouette, and he did. It was on carpet, not great, but he's made such progress that Golda could clearly see that he's a dancer now. Her mouth dropped open and she just stared. Then she covered her mouth with her hand and started crying. As she wiped away tears, she kept saying, "Wow. Wow." She said, "You're probably better than I am, Freestone." He's not great at humility, so he agreed and said, "Yeah. Probably." In truth, it would be hard to compare, and dumb. They're both beautiful dancers. I just loved that Golda shared that moment with Freestone where she totally "got" his thing. She recognized his efforts in the sweetest way. I know Freestone was touched. It comforted me that Golda was so happy for her brother as he lives her fondest dream, dancing at Ballet West.

Golda wanted to have the whole family say a prayer together, so we all knelt around the computer. All the Kings had left, so it was just us and Evyn. Golda gave the prayer in Cantonese. I wanted to record it, but I didn't want to ruin the spirit of the moment. I wish I had it on video. Golda' prayer was so heartfelt. Of course, we couldn't understand anything she said...until she started saying our names. I though she was saying mom and dad in Chinese, then she continued, "Ruby...Araceli...Freestone...Xanthe...Ptolemy...Tizzy...Frank...and Evyn." I could just feel her love for each one of us, and I felt how much she has learned to love each individual. Golda has developed a truly remarkable humility and character. 

That phone call was maybe the last one. She might be home before Christmas this December. If not, it will be soon after. I'm not in a hurry. Golda is right where she is meant to be. I do have a big hole in my heart when I think of how much I miss her, but as golda always says, "I love you more than I miss you."

No comments: