Thursday, October 3, 2013

Practicing


Children have a way of asking the big questions in a small way.  Off the cuff, in a casual setting, a cute little third grader will drop a bombshell, leaving her mom scrambling.  It all started at piano this morning when we were talking to our teacher.  She said that when her son asked why he had to practice, she told him this:  "Because when you looked down at our family from heaven, you saw that we play musical instruments, and you chose us anyway!  So it was your choice!"

We were joking in the car, then, on the way home, Freestone saying that when I had a miscarriage after Ruby, that was Freestone.  He said he changed his mind that first time and went back because of the practicing.  We were all laughing when I said, "Yeah, and Xanthe said to herself, 'That family practices too much!  I'm going to China!'"  She giggled boisterously.  Then she said cheerfully, "Yeah.  'Cause I already had a family in China.  But they didn't WANT me!"
Oh.  Wow.  I couldn't let that just float into the atmosphere.  Suddenly, instead of talking about practicing, we were talking about how Xanthe's family in China loved her a lot, but couldn't keep her.  Then she said, "Have you heard the story of how boys stay in China and girls don't?  Why do they do that?"
Oh.  Wow again.  I was wishing we were still laughing about Freestone going back to heaven when he found out he was going to have to play the violin in our family.  But instead we were talking about tradition and farming and sons and daughters.  I was wishing that wherever she heard these little snippets, she hadn't heard them.  Nobody is an expert on China, so the less said in front of such young, impressionable children, the better, unless you are their parents and feel like you know what to say.  For me, I don't know what to say.

But at least I have the right.
Raising a Chinese daughter is more complicated than raising a child who looks just like me, for sure.  Sometimes I'm sad when people say something like, "Golda looks just like you!"  or, "Tziporah looks just like the rest of the kids."  But look, that's the reality.  We're certainly not going to pretend Xanthe isn't Asian.  We love that she is!  She is absolutely beautiful!   I look at her slender fingers and her muscled calves and her shiny, dark hair and wonder:  where did those traits come from?  Xanthe is so many layers of gorgeous.
Being an Asian kid in a white community has its humorous moments, too.  The other day, Ruby told me that Xanthe was pulling back the corners of her eyes, slanting them up, then down, chanting, "Chinese!  Japanese!  Chinese!  Japanese!"  Later, when I talked to her about it, it struck me as funny.  I told her that it's rude to say that, and that when kids say things like that, they're not being respectful.  I said, "You might hurt someone's feelings, like...um...Jade or...yourself...."  It was a funny moment.
And speaking of Jade, I just shake my head whenever Xanthe tells me that another person got her mixed up with Jade, the other Chinese-American girl in her class.  They don't look alike!  They are not similar!  They are not the same girl!  It is NOT OK to intimate, through your sheer laziness, that all Asians look alike.  Look into their sweet, caramel faces, into their innocent eyes, and notice.  These are two very different girls.  Yes, they love their Asian-ness.  No, they don't want it pointed out in a negative way.  Yes, they feel it as a deep wound when you casually say, "Oh, I thought you were that other Chinese girl."

Race is such a complicated issue.  To address, and even to not address it, is to blunder, because everyone's feelings are different, deep and intense.  So we take it all in stride and love who we are.  At the same time, we love who other people are, too, and we learn to not fault them for their reactions.  After all, we all chose to come here and experience all this.

Even in spite of the practicing.

8 comments:

The homestead said...

Xanthe is so many layers of gorgeous!!!

Lisa and Tate said...

You are so spot on that parents are the ones who should address these issues of adoption, China and the whys.

I have a crazy 72 yr old neighbor who loves to get involved in Tate's behavior. At times I will weigh the situation whether it is better to let her say/ do something with the understanding that later I will talk to Tate or step in and intercept the interaction. Like I said she is crazy.

Recently I had to correct her when she told Tate that I will send her back to China if she does not treat me nicely. Ugh!

Jennie said...

I love so many things about this post.

The line, "You chose us anyway." So hilarious. I could say that about so many facets of our family life. I might have to steal that one from Janet.

When I read Xanthe's statement about her family not wanting her, boys, etc, I was crushed. I can only imagine how you felt in the car. I'm sure it was hard to not run the car off the road right there and then while you stared back at her in the rear view mirror. Oh what to say!?

X is SO beautiful. I'm jealous of her straight, beautiful, hair as I deal with my frizzy mess every day. :)

There may have been factors that placed X in her life position, but we are the benefactors. We're so lucky to claim her as one of our own. I hope that identity, purpose, and the deep knowledge of her needing to be in this family and in this life will be engraven upon her heart and mind and that it will meld with her rich cultural heritage and make her that much stronger.

She is a treasure.

michelle said...

Killer post! Love that X and it sounds like you handled it perfectly. I might have to steal that great line too!

Catherine said...

Thank you!!! Much of this is sti before us but with HAnnah in school full time now I know these days are quickly approaching. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. xo

Anonymous said...

Xanthe getting so grown up and so pretty. Love the family picture of her on your steps with her legs crossed and being so grown-up...a young lady she is evolving into! a beautiful, young lady who undoubtedly will have more and more questions just like any child. I am sure you will be prepared with answers any of your children throw at you, silly ones or serious ones! Such a cute family. xo Tricia..P.S. Love Freestone's take on practicing.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I remember when Shane and I were deeply considering adopting from Vietnam, these were our biggest concerns. Would we truly be able to help our child want and love being Vietnamese when they were living in a culture where no one understands the beauty of it? Would we be able to hold Vietnamese traditions strongly in our home?
You do this and so much more in such a natural way for darling little Xanthe. What a blessing she is for all of us...my niece, Savanna, said that she absolutely loves Xanthe in modern class!

laurel said...

We have had the same talks here. It is tough. The other day Maylin asked if there was anyone in the whole world that looked like her, like me and Kenzie looked like each other. I really try to be open. I don't want her to ever feel like we weren't open with her. I especially don't like it when people in public make comments that cause an awkward moment. We had a clerk ask me if I was babysitting MAylin. That really upset her. I am glad we all have each other in this adoption world. I learn from you and from others. I think it is great and I am glad our daughters can see in each other that they have someone in their same situation.