Thursday, December 3, 2015

Genevieve and Hubert

This might be the hotel where I stayed during the music camp in 1989 on Via Tritone.  It's hard to tell because it's all remodeled inside.
This trip included an extra dimension.  Genevieve and Hubert, our friends in France where the girls stayed during both of their summers in Europe, booked a trip to Rome at the same time so we could spend some time together.  You all know this is Genevieve, who was my French teacher in Paris in 1986.  I had never met Hubert, and the girls said he was wonderfully kind, just like Genevieve.  I was so thankful to them for coming to Rome so we could finally see each other.  We arranged to meet for lunch after we had all been to the Forum and Colosseum, but Genevieve told me she had a feeling we would meet at the Forum.  And we did!  But I'm getting ahead...
The Colosseum was practically empty, a far cry from the summer throngs.  Someone commented that it looked like we had Rome all to ourselves, from the pictures.  We did, but it wasn't exactly empty.  We just staged the picture that way so they would be prettier.  I didn't want someone's head poking up behind us.  We got to the Colosseum early and just wandered around for the longest time.  It's not something you want to rush through, snap a picture and be on your way.  You really want to think about the events that took place there, and what it would have been like to be in the crowd, or heaven forbid, one of the contestants in a man vs. beast showdown.



 Rome was warm, but not as warm as we had anticipated.  I was going to look smashing in my red dress!  It looks less glamorous with the warm sweats and parka, but I was comfy.


 Going in for a kiss.  Tee hee


Can you see the guy cleaning the place with a broom?  Talk about a Sisyphean task!
We then walked over to the Forum, which I'm convinced has been excavated to a much greater extent than I last saw it.  I know they've excavated a whole entire thing next to the Column of Trajan, completed in 2006.  Rome is never finished.  There are ruins everywhere, of various evidences of past popes and emperors' visions, molded over time by the next ruler, completed over centuries, then excavated over decades.  You don't even have to be in the Forum to see stuff like this.  It's everywhere.
St. Peters framed in one of the windows of the Forum.  This is in the very spot where I lost my phone.  People had warned us about pick pockets, and we knew any tourist spot could be a target, but we hadn't seen any of the type of Roma that plague Paris with their brazen thievery.  Then I reached in my pocket and my phone was gone!  I couldn't believe it!  Nobody had ever been close to me.  I thought, "These pickpockets really are good!"  Then I remembered sitting on a bench and I thought my phone could have slipped out of my pocket.  I ran back there, praying against all odds that the phone would be just sitting on the ground.  I looked under the first bench.  Nothing.  There were two men sitting on the second bench.  I walked up behind them and peered into the grass.  There was my phone!  I shouted, "Aha!!!"  The men looked back and I enthusiastically explained in English that I had found my phone.  They thought I was nuts, but I felt like flying.  It would have been tragic to lose my phone.
Ashley was so happy, she hugged one of the "pines of Rome!"
Another bunny rabbit!

It was right after I found my phone that Golda spotted Genevieve!  What perfect timing!  Ah, we were so happy to see her, and to meet Hubert.  I was wishing Ruby was there.  She just love these people.  They're like parents to her.
It's been 25 years since I've seen Genevieve, and she is every bit as beautiful as ever.  She's incredible.  And Hubert, I could see immediately why Golda and Ruby always talk about how nice and funny he is.  What a pleasure to spend the day with them!
This guy was working on an excavation project, cigarette in hand, big smile on his face.

From the Forum, we walked to Campo di Fiore, a square that has restaurants and shops.  This time, there was a market going on.  We dined at a place several people had recommended, Osteria di Fortunata.  I'm still craving the carbonara.  The pasta was made right then, right there.  Italian comfort food, big bowls of it.




Genevieve brought gifts from Chloe, some beautiful jewelry.  Thank you, Chloe!  After lunch, we said good-bye to Genevieve and Hubert and walked the streets to shop.
We ran into a long-lost friend of mine from Indiana. Sheela Iyengar.  It was surreal when I saw her, she looked so familiar.  I had to ask if she was the same girl I had know freshman year of college.
She and her husband were in Rome for their 20th anniversary, just like we were!  They live in Atlanta and play in the Atlanta Symphony.  Crazy!
We walked along the Tiber, all the way to the Vatican.  We wanted to get tickets to hear the Pope's Wednesday address, but alas, he was leaving for Africa the next day, so we didn't get to hear him.




St. Peters Square at twilight was breathtaking, though.  I'm glad we went.  The girls were once again thrilled to see a place they had dreamed about.
Christmas in the very heart of the Christian world.  I wish it had all been set up!
It's hard to take it all in when you're in such an iconic place.  I tried to take it all in so I could remember it later.  The thing I'll remember most about this particular moment is the pink and gold light.  When the lights were illuminated on the basilica as dusk fell, our whole world was bathed in sweet, warm gold.  I didn't want it to end.

In awe.

No comments: