Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Stockholm

Several months ago, Norwegian Airlines opened up nonstop routes from Las Vegas to Scandinavia.  Scott and I went crazy and booked flights the very day they became available, for $460 ROUNTRIP!  Can I just say that again?  FOUR HUNDRED SIXTY DOLLARS ROUNDTRIP NONSTOP FROM VEGAS TO STOCKHOLM!  It wasn't one of those deals you have to get lucky to see.  The fares are cheap all the time.  We're kinda worried about how cheap they are, actually.  It's too tempting.  The trip was slated as our 20th anniversary trip, because you always need an excuse, right?  Then when Golda and Ruby flew to Europe last summer and missed their connecting flight, we had to exchange their Norwegian flights for a new flight on the spot.  We exchanged their two one-way tickets for a roundtrip for Golda on our flight.  Nothing more romantic than taking a college-age daughter on your anniversary trip.  Golda was smart and had the idea of inviting her two friends to go with us, which turned out to be the best idea ever.  They were great travelers, and we had the best time.
We left the last day of Nutcracker, which was not only heartbreaking, but very chaotic.  I was so grateful to my friend Jennifer Hatch for driving the Nutcracker kids to and from Weber four times so I wouldn't have to worry about Ruby driving in bad weather while we were on our flight.  Thank you, Jennifer!  That gave me such peace of mind.  My dad babysat Tolly and Tizzy for a few hours until Emma the babysitter arrived.  He surprised me by loading them up in the car and taking them to Bowman's to buy a turkey!  Way to go, Dad!  He was a pro at the kid gig.  That night, Jennie took the kids to her house, and brought them home and put them to bed.  I don't even know what happened, I just know that Jennie had them covered, and I'm so thankful.  It's really stressful to leave home.  There are so many ties binding you that seem impossible to sever, and it's worrisome.  I had a talk with Sarah about this that made me feel a lot better about leaving.  It was interesting that I subconsciously feel like if I'm not worrying about eventualities, they might happen because I'm not paying attention.  Weird, huh?  Scott said the opposite: that if he doesn't think about it, he feels safer.  Funny, because I always pegged myself as the non-worrier.

This trip, too, I was on edge about terrorist attacks.  You know what, though?  Those fears are so much stronger when you're at home.  Once you cut through everything that's holding you down, and realize you'll be fine, and that the world isn't actually scarier "out there" than it is "at home," it is a relief.  I felt so safe the whole time.

We left early Saturday, made good time to St. George, and stopped at Swig to get drinks to accompany Emily's mom's picnic lunch.  She packed us a delicious spread for the road.  Thank you, Jillyn!
Ready to go!  It's always nice when you're checked in and waiting at the airport.
In fact, it's so nice, Scott and I always get there way, way early.  Early enough for the girls to do yoga.  We're not last-minute people.  There was a funny article on The Onion titled, "Dad Suggests leaving 14 Hours Early to Get to Airport."  It's so funny.  That's exactly how we are!  I love Norwegian because they have tons of free TV shows and movies, most of which I've never seen.  I had to force myself to sleep a little bit, there's so much to do on the flight!  I did take an Ambien.  It just makes the flight fly by.
And then we were in Stockholm!  The airport is nice, and has a huge shopping area connected to it called Sky City.  I love this men's bathroom.  Progressive Swedes!  ;)  Scott had the genius idea of staying at a hotel at Sky City.  I was reticent at first, but it was heavenly.  We got off the plane, walked down the hall to our hotel, left our bags and took the bus into Stockholm.  No schlepping at all!  And then when we woke up the next morning, we were already at the airport for our flight, which meant we didn't have to leave a million hours early to make sure we got there in plenty of time.  Scott totally researches trips, and always finds the best way to go.  We'll be walking and he'll say, "I looked up that hotel."  He knows everything.

Our night (it was actually what, 3 pm, but dark) began at Mega Kebab.  Cheap gyros, our specialty!
I can't even tell you what a delight Emily, Ashley and Golda were.  They were great every minute.
Crossing the river into Gamla Stan
We got lucky because the Gamla Stan Christmas Markets just opened that day.  It was quaintness overload, and we just loved it.  We wandered the markets and the surrounding side streets.







All the vendors were friendly and nice.  I don't even know how people can be so pleasant when it's dark for six months out of the year!

Guy from Lapland.  He told me all about his region.  We bought some reindeer antler keychains from him.
Everything is so cozy.  I guess that's how these northerners cope with the cold, dark winter.


Rooms inside the Royal Something Hotel.  Scott will remember.  We went in and said we were thinking of staying there next time and they let us look around and use the bathroom.  Sometimes a bathroom is the best thing ever!  The decor was so beautiful.  I want that bench in my house!
Downtown Stockholm, ice skating rink.

The little huts you change your skates in, could they be an cuter?  They're like little gnome houses.



Fun Christmas windows

When we got back to the airport, and the Clarion Arlanda Hotel, we weren't quite finished celebrating the kickoff to our 20th anniversary.  The girls turned in for the night and Scott and I went to Marcus Samuesson's restaurant, right in our hotel.  I had just read the chef's autobiography, and we had been to his restaurant in Harlem, Red Rooster, so at this point, we're almost disciples.  The maitre'd told us Marcus Samuelsson was coming for a reception that week, and invited us!  We were sad to just miss it by a few days.  Our dinner was delicious, though.  I can't believe how lucky I am to have snagged Scott when he was still young and naive enough to marry me.  I'm sure neither of us knew what we were getting into, but sitting in that gorgeous rooftop restaurant in Sweden, both of us were more than happy to celebrate the first 20 years.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey, the Royal Something hotel has pillows from Ikea! What a neat trip. It was my pleasure to be with your wonderful children at Nutcracker. That would have been awesome to meet Marcus Samuelsson. Next time, right?

Jennie said...

Yay! Trip deets are up on the blog. Can't wait to travel vicariously through your posts. Love ya! So glad you guys are home safe and sound.