Saturday, June 3, 2017

Class of 2017

Ruby has been looking beyond graduation day to the rest of her life for a long time. There were parts of high school that she hated, IE, being stuck in high school. There were parts that she loved, like Dance Company, being with Golda the first year, having friends, being a TA for two of her favorite teachers, being in two of Mr. Oram's AP classes, ballet, being Dance Company president, going on trips.

Ruby is very smart, and, as I always tell her, she's good at taking tests. She studies, but she doesn't love it. It's agony, in fact. Nevertheless, she took three AP tests (still waiting for results on two of them, passed the first) and graduated with High Honors. Of course she did! Her GPA was 3.8 and she took many of the tough classes.

This beautiful lei was given to Ruby by her friend Sofia Vasquez's parents. Sofia died in a car accident last year, right after school ended. It was just devastating. I loved sweet Sofia. I still cry about her death all the time, and I'm sure her many friends and family members do, too. All of Sofia's friends received a lei for graduation from the Vasquez family. Ruby wore it with love and gratitude. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow Sofia's family was feeling as these beautiful young people graduated. I was so honored that Ruby was included in their special tribute to Sofia. It put such a perspective on the day.
Our cheering section. Tziporah wasn't impressed with the ceremony. She said, "What are we doing here? Ruby isn't even doing anything!" Ha ha. True. But it's a fun closing ceremony.
I am hideous. That face! Oh my gosh. Sometimes I just wonder.
The sun was bright

Bentley Fife and Ruby, friends since kindergarten.

Polynesians have way more fun. I'm actually jealous. This family had this backdrop set up for pictures and a boom box blaring music. A big guy was sitting on the ground draped to the eyebrows with leis, and the graduate was equally adorned. The entire extended family was posing, from tiny baby to grandparents.
These are from Ruby's 100th day of second grade. Her answers are so funny. She could eat 100 "blackened salmon," But she could never eat 100 slugs.
She wished she had 100 friends, but she woudn't want 100 husbands!
She's going to be pretty when she's 100 years old!
This is my favorite. If I had 100 dollars, I would..."Give it to a charity or the orphanage maybe both. Because they need money too and the orphanage is verry poor."

This is Ruby. She has a generous heart. When people ask me why Ruby decided to go to Ghana as a volunteer to teach music, I just think it makes sense. It wasn't a sudden decision. She was always destined for volunteer work. She has been researching different volunteer options since she was in junior high.  I found out recently that she's been taking one cold shower a week for years, "in case she ever lives in a third world country." Oh, Ruby! She's prepared for anything.  I don't want Ruby to leave, because I'll miss her fiercely, but I just can't wait for her to get out there and be free!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

What an amazing daughter you have! Love all that she is and how loving and caring she is to others. Such a great girl with such a heart!

Excited to see where God leads you Ruby!!