Monday, June 25, 2018

Consulate Rejection

I was so glad Golda and Araceli were with me in San Francisco. I needed moral support. We left home at 2 am Sunday morning so we could enjoy some time in San Francisco that evening. We planned to be at the consulate when they opened Monday morning, and I didn't want to have any variables standing between us and the consulate, so we stayed right around the corner from it, at the Rodeway Inn.

We got to the embassy a half hour before it opened and the line was around the block!! I was dying! I did not expect that. But once it opened, we got in and took a number. Long story short, we thought the worst case scenario would be that her visa would take 4 days to get here and we wouldn't be able to stay in San Francisco that long. Plus, her flight was Tuesday. I hoped I could strong-arm the officials into rushing the process. Also, we had spent months making sure we had all the documents. Turns out it's much worse than that and they said that we were lucky if it would take 6 months. I just kept asking the same questions over and over until the girl got frustrated and walked away. We just decided to stay there at her window not knowing if we were in trouble or what. Then a supervisor came and took us into a little room. Medina called and talked to the woman and said all kinds of things like we didn't know it would be a special case that website didn't say that last time we got the Visa in one day. The woman was taken aback that Medina spoke Mandarin.

(The consulate people kept implying that it was because she is a Uygher that Vilina was a special case, but I they wouldn't say it. They said, "she is from Xinjiang, right?") Kerman said but there is a genocide going on in Xinjiang. Last time he was in China he was worried that he wouldn't be able to leave again but the Chinese government didn't want bad publicity because he is famous. They took away all the passports of the band members he was playing with but they let him keep his and come back to the United States because they were afraid people would not like it if he was separated from his wife since he's so famous. But the Chinese government is trying to eradicate the culture of the Uyghers. You would be surprised how many people who are Chinese have looked at Vilina like she is a freak. One woman in Chinatown last night said, "She looks mixed. She doesn't look Chinese."

I have so so much sympathy for the people on the US Mexico border, especially those who have been separated from their children. This policy of "zero tolerance" has only been in place for a few weeks, but it has caused irreparable harm to families. Regular people are just so powerless with bureaucracy and government. Vilina is sad. I am afraid that she might be with us permanently. Andy told me that Kerman said when she came here it was because her parents were worried that life is becoming more difficult for the ethnic minorities. So at least she is safe here. I just feel so sad for her parents.

Anyway! Now the consulate is closed and we can have fun and Sofia comes tomorrow!! And Irena on Thursday!

Ironically, we ended up at a Tibetan restaurant in Berkeley. If you remember what happened to the Tibetans when China took over their country, that's what happened to the Uyghers too.
I hadn't been to Berkeley for many years, since violin making school, so I wanted to go back. I also wanted to see the Oakland temple. Clytie and Spence served their mission there, and I just wanted to see it. We got there five minutes before the visitor center closed, but we will had a profoundly spiritual experience.

You'll have to scroll down for the pictures, but there just happened to be Chinese speaking missionaries there. Golda spoke to two who were from Hong Kong in Cantonese, while one went and just sat by Vilina. She spoke Mandarin. She was from Taiwan. She sat and listened while Vilina poured out her whole story. It was as if she was just waiting for Vilina to come along so she could comfort her. Since the center was closing, we were invited to pray with the missionaries, which they did in Cantonese. I just felt like everything would be ok.





















The second time Monday that I went back to the consulate, it was to give them an envelope to mail the permit to my house when it came. I used this post it note the next day as well, to just go to the front of the line. I played dumb and showed my note to everyone.
Painted ladies

No comments: