Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Happy First Snowfall!


The science fair poster went out the door with Golda this morning and into the sparkly, snow-covered world. It turned out really cute, so if that's what the judges are looking for, then we're set! There were a few setbacks along the way...Max went AWOL right in the middle of the testing. I still don't know where he was, but it's a good thing he came running back the next morning while I was working on a violin downstairs. I was starting to consider two pretty ill-advised options for completing the project. One: buy a new, look-alike Guinea pig. Two: Cross out "guinea pig" every time it appears in the science project and substitute "Freestone." The first option might have led to divorce proceedings, and the second would have involved Freestone on a sugar high. So MAx's reappearance was an answer to my prayers!
It was fun helping Golda type up her report on the computer. I just missed the computer age as a youth. I didn't even take a typing class until 9th grade, and it was my lowest grade ever, except for gym. Golda, like all kids these days, is a whiz. In the time it took me to say, "Gee, I wish we could somehow make a graph...maybe I could find some crayons that aren't too broken," Golda had googled "graph," found a website, entered data for three graphs and printed them out. OK...am I helping or hindering here?
On a different note...I took Golda to flute and drama rehearsal last night (in the very blizzard that has made everything so beautiful this morning.) I had three hours to walk around the Gateway in the snow, so I went to Barnes and Noble and read Jenny McCarthy's book on autism, which my sister-in-law, Jennie, had recommended. (Thanks, Jen!) I must have made quite a spectacle, crying all the way through the book. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a child. It really brings into focus what we do, and would do, as mothers, to keep our kids safe. I can't remember the name of the book.
Speaking of books, any recommendations out there? I'll need something compelling for the next blizzard!

4 comments:

love.boxes said...

Hooray! Max is found! I was wondering about that Jenny Macarthy book.. if you liked it, I'm going to look into it sometime. I'm reading David Copperfield right now and it's marvelous! Also, Behind The Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson.. which pretty good so far and a fun writing style I think.

Jennie said...

Circ, I'm glad you liked the book. For anyone who has dealt with autism in any aspect of their life I think it is a beneficial read. I especially lauged at her reference to "the mormons". So funny.

Renee said...

Hi Circe,I'll have to check out that book you mentioned as I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my daughter & it seems as though she may have a very mild form of autism although the teachers disagree with that,but then again don't give her very much help either & she is failing,so I will definitely take a look at that book.PS-Thanks for your comment on my blog,I really love your blog and will continue to check it out!Keep up the great blogging...mine is so depressing right now.Renee

Circe said...

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!