Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Easy Instructions for a Messy House

Using my step-by-step process, you too can have a messy house in no time at all.
Step 1: Have kids.

Actually, there's only one step. That's how easy it is. Kids shed clothing, exude crumbs and seem to have something sticky on their fingers at all times, just in case a couch looks too clean. If you're an overachiever and would like additional ideas about how to have a messy house, read on for great tips about things you can do with your kids...

Let them create. Glitter is probably the most efficient and quickest way to go from clean to disaster, but glue, paper, crayons and markers work, too, especially if you teach the children that walls are good canvasses.
Tell the kids that yes, they can go play in the snow. They may not stay outside long enough for you to sort through last year's outgrown snow clothes, but they will spend a good hour thoroughly destroying your mudroom.
Send the kids to school and/or let them have friends or hobbies. Nothing piles up like school projects, goal sheets and invitations. This kind of stuff can easily make a mess of countless backpacks, bulletin boards, countertops and bedrooms. Very effective. This one is easy because it happens automatically unless you meet all incoming kids at the door with a big garbage bag.

Celebrate holidays. There's nothing like festive decor to quickly turn a house from spotless to gaudy. Without kids to move stuff around, break it and leave it where it doesn't go, holiday items are merely decorative. With kids, however, a simple strand of lights can make an entire entryway look like a Wal-Mart clearance bin. As an added bonus, each kid brings home an average of twelve projects from school per holiday, which you are absolutely required to display.

And lastly, feed the kids. There is no better way to ensure that your house gets messy three times a day or more than to pull out a meal and serve it to kids. This will take care of the floor, the counter, the table and the sink in one fell swoop.

I know, I know, I should teach my kids to clean up after themselves. Yeah, I was really good at that...until I actually went through with Step 1. If you don't feel that your house is quite messy enough, get a husband. He'll be happy to reassure you otherwise. :) Now, I have to go feed some kids; My countertop is looking unnervingly clean.

10 comments:

The homestead said...

I am a master at all of your steps!

Anonymous said...

I loved your advice. Kids are more important than any clean house. Your house was clean, though! Oh, I need to pick up a China Baby Love Box from you when Tiffany drops it off..and need to find a time that works.

Jennifer said...

Love it! Makes me think of one of my favorite quotes (attributed to Phyllis Diller, I think):

Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing
Is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.

Lisa and Tate said...

Sadly ... my house is a mess with just me. It would become a bio-hazard area if I add a husband and kids. I am hoping to win the Idaho lotto so I can have a live in housekeeper.... Oh to dream big!

Taylor Family said...

I have one more step to add try to can all day and let your kids do whatever they want like play with moon sand in every room. Then have your husband come home and say why is the house so dirty. Then get really mad and say can't you see all that I have accomplished. Wow my hormones must be off today.

Erin said...

That is so funny, Circe. My house messes today involved ski gear on the kitchen counter. Kind of random for October 15, no?

Marilyn said...

You would all feel right at home here with us!

love.boxes said...

The absolute truth! :)

Sarah Smiles said...

I followed your step and the same has happened and continues to happen at my house as well.

Renee said...

True. Especially the glitter. I thought I was being so smart doing glitter on the back patio. But the finished products that hung on the fridge left a puddle that was soon spread all over the entire house. Love GLITTER! I know the messes my two make, I can't even imagine five!