Friday, October 3, 2008

Four Seasons



Here is some of Ruby's handiwork...she saved up and got a new camera, which she put to good use documenting autumn in Utah. I thought Utah was incredibly vibrant and exquisite in the fall, until I moved to Indiana. I was 17 before I knew that Utah really is a desert and that fall happens much more impressively elsewhere, like in the dense, humid woods of the Midwest. Here in the desert, color is no less magnificent than anywhere else, however. It's different, but more intense in its own way, too. Each day, I gaze at the familiar mountains around me and marvel at how they constantly change. In winter, the patterns of the snow shift, eventually giving way to the browns and greys of spring. Then, gradually, the greens take over until the mountainsides glow with deep, full verdure in the intense summer light. Then comes a day when a barely perceptible change in color signals the coming of fall, the colors multiplying and diversifying until summer's green becomes a whole host of autumn hues. Soon, the mountain ranges will be dusted with snow, and the cycle will begin again. Four seasons, and this is the best one. Until the next one comes around.

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Ruby, what great photos. I love them both. You'll have to bring your camera Sunday and you can Lex can be the official family photogs.

Michelle said...

Oooooo, I can hardly wait to see mountains again! Hope there is a little color left. Great photos!

Lisa and Tate said...

Kudos to Ruby on the great and artistic photos!

I love all FOUR seasons. About the time I get sick of Summer, POW... out pops the colors! I have spent time in Maine during the legendary Autumn... Utah is not as in your face but has it's own beauty for sure.

Christian said...

Speaking of moving away and learning of fall when you're 17, remember that I moved to New Hampshire in high school. There might not be anything better than New Hampshire in October...!

Anonymous said...

You should write to publish. Seriously!

Erin said...

I love Utah Autumns too. I have lived so many places, and Utah's beauty still sometimes takes my breath away. Great photos, Ruby!

Jennifer said...

Great photos. Is she going to enter them into the Reflections contest?

love.boxes said...

I adore Autumn in Utah.. didn't it smell good yesterday after all that rain!

Michelle said...

I love spring and fall, by the end of winter I'm pretty done with winter, and I generally feel the same way about summer. Spring and fall though, they just never get old (well I guess they would get old if we never had winter and summer). Saturday was my very favorite kind of day, fall rain, warm soup, and an awesome 5 year old.

Doesn't get any better than that, and Ruby totally captured the feeling, those pictures are beautiful.