Thursday, June 16, 2011

Newly Minted



Freestone was lucky and got to become a scout three days before his birthday, at 6:45 in the morning, no less, when the den leader picked him up for day camp!  I sewed his patches on between ballet rehearsals yesterday, and Coco finished them during our after-recital ice cream party.  Thanks, Coco!  And thanks to Grandma and Grandpa who gave Freestone his Scout uniform for his birthday.  He looks more adorable than I ever thought possible in that standard-issue blue uniform.

I was nervous about Scout camp.  I requested that he be kept away from rivers because, well, Scouts do dangerous and sometimes stupid things, and several kids have drowned in rivers this spring in Utah, with the high waters.  I like to be there when my kids are near water.  Of course, I had no reason to worry.  He came home safe and sound, but had some whoppers to tell.  He said his canoe tipped over.  He said he got shot in the forehead with a BB gun.  He told Scott he got attacked by a bear.  But there was a silver lining:  Freestone bought the ONLY REAL diamond in the trading post.  The others were all fake.  Lucky, lucky boy!  He's a diamond in the rough to us!


4 comments:

Michelle said...

That kid is such a classic!

sws said...

OH Scouting! Is that next? I'm glad you are breaking the ice. Free and Jake look great.

laurel said...

You SEWED on his patches?! You are amazing. My kids only got theirs glued on....right before they got their arrow of light or Eagle.

love.boxes said...

This shirt was made for Free! All boy! Love it!