Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Likening Scriptures

What are your kids doing this summer?  Mine are going to be doing math worksheets every morning, followed by dedicated reading time for at least two hours.  Science camp, language tutors and writing workshops should round out our curriculum.

Just kidding.

My kids aren't doing jack crap over the summer.  I don't think I could stand the sight of one more blank worksheet, one more empty line, one more story problem, one more Google Translate, or one more laboriously filled-in reading log.

School is great.  But school is almost over.  So go ahead, everyone.  Pass us up.  Leave us in the dust.  Keep your scholastic skills sharp.  Read, read, read.  Fill in charts, earn prizes, achieve goals.

As it says in Ecclesiastes 3:6, "A time to get and a time to lose.  A time to keep and a time to cast away."  At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I think the Old Testament is telling me not to accomplish one darn thing over the summer, and I plan to follow that admonition right to the letter of the law.  Except I'm banning letters AND law this summer.

We'll be in our pajamas and/or swimsuits at Cherry Hill, eating pizza and losing all knowledge gained over the course of the school year.  As it should be, according to the Bible.  Amen.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen!

michelle said...

I'll be right there with ya!

Catherine said...

Love this! Does that count for *gasp* music too? This is my first summer since Hannah started taking piano lessons and trying to figure out how to handle music over the summer when she's not taking lessons. Thoughts friend?

Nortorious said...

Count me in. If it takes effort, forget it. Backsliding here we come. (Can I also take a vacation from reading to my kids at night because don't tell anybody but I hate it.)