Friday, May 23, 2014

Queen Gertrude

 Araceli took the 6th grade Shakespeare plays pretty seriously, especially concerning costuming.  Ari loves clothing and fashion, I guess you could say, and always has just the right shoes and earrings to match her carefully chosen outfits.  So you can imagine how much thought she put into what she would wear if she were a Medieval Danish Queen who was about to be poisoned in front of a large audience in an elementary school cafeteria.  That's a pretty specific scenario!  Ari thought so much about her costume that she ended up with two fabulous costumes to choose from, one her teacher lent her and one that my good friend Michelle made by hand and let Ari wear before anyone else.  Just look at the details on this dress!  It is stunning!  Michelle, I am sure this dress is going to see many Shakespeare days, Halloweens, and whatever else we can all think to use it for whenever we want to be the most fabulous person in the room!  Thanks, Michelle.  I spotted several other girls in the plays who were wearing dresses you and Coco made for us!  You two are outfitting a whole village!

 This is so funny.  One day, I bought a loaf of white bread because it just looked yummy, and reminded me of how desperately I just wanted a bologna sandwich on white bread when I was a kid, instead of the dark, dry wheat bread my mom bought.  Well, my kids evidently don't harbor the same longing for paste that I do, because they all freaked out!  "What IS this?!  You bought white bread?  WHY?!?  What do you DO with it!?  Do you want us to EAT it?!"  Ha ha!  Their reactions were so funny!  Every one of them was outraged and/or baffled.
 Here is Ari as a Capulet.  Yes, she chose Michelle's amazing and probably historically accurate gown to wear as an extra in Romeo and Juliet, while she wore the teacher's dress when she played Queen Gertrude in Hamlet.  Go figure!  She looked so pretty in both, and I'm guessing she chose the brown dress for Hamlet because it came with a very queenly crown.  Now, watch THIS VIDEO.  After Queen Hamlet dies, there is not much action on Ari's part, so you can stop watching.  :)


See?  The perfect earrings for the dress.

3 comments:

michelle said...

What a wonderful death scene! She did such a great job and looked so gorgeous! I think that worked out perfectly, getting to wear two fun dresses is always better than one!

Jennie said...

Beautiful. She did such a great job and I love the costume!!

sws said...

I loved the video. Ari looks amazing in both dresses. She is a beautiful girl, inside and out!